Blackberry pH Indicator
Henry Aufderheide,Jake Conway,Sarah Goltsman,Griffin Norwesh
What is a pH indicator?
A pH indicator is a liquid that changes color to distinguish an acid from a base. An indicator reacts to OH- or H+ ions to change color. Some indicators only indicate acid or base, and others can directly indicate what pH a liquid is. An acid is a substance with a larger quantity of H+ ions than OH- ions. A base is a substance with a larger quantity of OH- ions than H+ ions.
- Lemon Juice
- Baking Powder (aq.)
This is our set up for the experiment
We had a rack of test tubes, filled each with the test substance and the indicator.
This was the base set of pH standards
From left to right: 13, 11, 9, 7, 5, 3, 1
Things we Tested
Initial Color of Indicator
In conclusion, we learned that many household items have the capability to be used as a pH indicator, with varying results. For our indicator, blackberries, with a higher percentage of H+ the solution would form a red or pinkish tint. When a more basic substance is used, the indicator shifts towards a darker, greenish color. Our indicator was better at detecting acids rather than bases because it was easier to tell the varying shades of red apart between different pH’s. Some of the problems we encountered were varying concentrations of solutions and human error on judging the color and the pH of the solution. If we were to do this experiment over, we would plan to have a similar concentration throughout all the substances and to have a wider array of household items to be able to test more pH’s.
Second Image: Bleach (9)
- Alibaba.com. (n.d.). Retrieved June 3, 2015, from http://dgpowereagle435.en.alibaba.com/product/489534385-200501078/Power_Eagle_4_Liter_API_SG_CF_Engine_Oil_for_Car_or_Diesel_Lubricant.html
- Article and Recipe Archive - Norwex Power Plus Laundry Detergent. (n.d.). Retrieved June 3, 2015, from http://articles.urbanhomemaker.com/index.php?article=918
- Blackberry Jam - Adapting 4 Natural Ingredients To Make A Thicker Jam With No Sugar Or Pectin. (2013, March 22). Retrieved June 3, 2015, from http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/03/22/blackberry-jam-adapting-4-natural-ingredients-to-make-a-thicker-jam-with-no-sugar-or-pectin/
- Facts, O. (n.d.). Fruits. Retrieved June 3, 2015, from https://www.pinterest.com/organicfacts/fruits/
- Newberry, J. (2010, March 5). Procter & Gamble in detergent fight. Retrieved June 3, 2015, from http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2010/03/procter_gamble_in_detergent_fight.html
- Oil Purification and Industrial Lubrication Systems. (n.d.). Retrieved June 3, 2015, from http://www.sesco-inc.com/
- Oyedele, A. (2015, March 30). Credit Suisse thinks the best thing for BlackBerry to do is break up. Retrieved June 3, 2015, from http://finance.yahoo.com/news/credit-suisse-thinks-best-thing-165512043.html
- Smashed Blackberry & Basil Grilled Cheese | Nosh and Nourish. (2012, June 11). Retrieved June 3, 2015, from http://noshandnourish.com/content/smashed-blackberry-basil-grilled-cheese
- Take Stock - View Baking Soda (Tata). (n.d.). Retrieved June 3, 2015, from http://www.wetakestock.com/advertisements/detail/baking-soda-(tata)
- مینیمال های غذایی. (n.d.). Retrieved June 3, 2015, from http://zeiton.blog.ir/tag/آبلیمو