Advanced ecoprint retreat in Portugal, May 2-9 th 2020
- What if we put mordanted or naturally dyed bundles into a submersion pot?
- What if we layer natural dyes together?
- What if we combine shibori with ecoprint?
- What if we apply thickened mordants and dyes selectively?
- What if we add different tannins into the mix?
- What if we ecoprint on leather?
- What if a fun group of experienced ecoprinters with enquiring minds got together in a glorious location in Portugal to find out?
Caroline and Nicola have been experimenting with these exciting techniques and are looking forward to sharing them during this new take on our annual eco printing retreat. From 2nd to 9th May we will be returning to the beautiful Algarve Art Retreat near Loule, Southern Portugal and enjoying the same comfortable rooms, the same glorious gardens and countryside full of printing foliage, the same wonderful catering and hospitality from our hostess Uschi but an exciting new slant with a different emphasis on learning and the exploration of new techniques.
There will be intensive instruction from us each morning. The afternoons (and evenings too if you wish) will be free for personal exploration and projects with support from us as needed. This retreat will be limited to 8 workshop participants to make sure that everyone gets plenty of personal attention. We welcome confident ecoprinters who have comprehensive hands on experience bundling and a good working knowledge of mordants and/or natural dyeing. This will ensure that we can really push the boundaries during the retreat and get the most from this exciting textile adventure.
Who knows where this will lead us?!
This exclusive 7 day residential workshop includes........
- Welcome drinks and evening meal on 2nd May
- 7 nights shared or single accommodation (non smoking) at the beautiful Algarve Art Retreat or a beautiful architect designed private house 200m up the road
- Delicious breakfast each morning and lunch every day on site at the Algarve Art Retreat using fresh, local ingredients
- Total immersion into an exciting textile adventure with Nicola Brown and Caroline Nixon.
- Use of the studio until 10 pm if wished
- The Algarve Art Retreat has fabulous grounds, a large pool and a sauna. It is reserved exclusively for us during the retreat so that everyone can feel totally relaxed. There is also a spa room where a range of treatments may be booked!
- There will be a maximum of 8 workshop participants to ensure that everyone gets plenty of individual attention. A number of non workshop participating partners are welcome to attend by arrangement
- Wrap up dinner and drinks in an atmospheric authentic Portuguese bistro
There will be a €50 materials fee to cover a wide range of mordants, modifiers, tannins and dye extracts.
A materials list will be forwarded to participants
On the evenings that dinner is not provided participants will be free to relax on site or dine out in one of the local Portuguese restaurants. Taxis are a very easy and inexpensive way of getting around but some of the accommodation has its own simple kitchen facilities and it may also be possible to barbecue on site
The nearest airport is Faro. From here, it's about a half hour inexpensive taxi ride to the retreat. We can put participants in touch with each other to facilitate you sharing a taxi.
Arrival time from 2 pm on day 1, departure after breakfast on 9th May
Each of the accommodation options is different, so prices vary. NB Paraiso and one of the bedrooms at the house are upstairs, the other rooms are on the ground floor.
Algarve Art Retreat. (click on the links to see pictures of these rooms)
On site accommodation at Algarve Art Retreat
Cantinho do Secreto €1300 shared or €1650 single
Cantinho do Jardim €1300 shared or €1650 single
Cantinho do Paraíso €1500 shared or €1950 single
Luxurious and spacious accommodation in beautiful architect designed private house, 200 yds walk from Algarve Art Retreat. With use of their beautiful infinity swimming pool, and full use of all the Algarve Art Retreat facilities. Breakfast and lunch will be taken at the Algarve Art Retreat
Ultra Luxurious suite, with superking size bed, kitchenette ,luxury bathroom, private patio with wonderful view €1800 shared €2250 single
Deluxe double ensuite. Kingsize bed €1550 shared €2100 single
Deluxe double ensuite, Kingsize bed private balcony with gorgeous views, aircon €1600 shared €2200 single
How to book.......
Booking opens Sunday December 1st
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your top 3 accommodation choices. We will get back to you by December 11th at the latest letting you know if your application to join the retreat has been successful. If it has, a 50% deposit now will secure your place, with the balance payable in the middle of March 2020. Non workshop participating partners may be accommodated by prior arrangement. Please let Nicola and Caroline know this when you request to book and they will then let you know how much this will cost for the accommodation chosen.
If you have any queries, do feel free to email us, but note that we are both a little busy with Christmas shows, so we may take a couple of days to reply.
Please note, retreat fees will be strictly non-refundable so Nicola and Caroline highly recommend holiday insurance.