K-11th grade newsletter
Calendar of Events
Next week: September 23-27th--
**Mid-Quarter--We are officially at the middle of Quarter 1. Teachers will be sending mid-quarter progress communication next week**
Monday., September 23rd-Teacher Training -No School/No Online Lessons
Thursday, September 26th-- Middle & High School Independent Study Lab (ISL)
- Session times: 10:30-12:30 and 1:30-3:30 (More information below)
Monday., September 30th- Last day to submit Scholastic Book orders
Tuesday, October 8th- Cook's Night Out Fundraiser- Chipotle (9820 S. 71st Plaza)
October 22-23rd- 10th Grade Pre-ACT test (DURING CLASS TIME)
October 23rd --Parent Teacher Conferences 4:30 to 8pm
October 24th -- Parent Teacher Conferences 1:00 to 8pm
Friday, October 25th- No School and No online lessons
Thursday, October 31st--High School Physical Education class @ 1pm
November 5th and 6th- School Pictures
Friendly Reminder: Learner Pick-up
Be on time
Learners can be dropped off 15 minutes prior to session start times and the learning coach lounge is available to relax in, if you arrive super-early! We have a VERY quick turnaround in between sessions for teachers to eat lunch and prepare for our afternoon sessions.
Please watch your clocks and plan accordingly.
Please note: We will be sending an updated OVS student handbook to families next week.
Middle & High School Independent Study Lab (ISL)
- Available for 6th-12th grade learners
For learners who want to work independently with learning facilitator support available.
- Learners should arrive with a specific goal in mind.
- It is strongly encouraged that the LC emails the LF specific goals to inform support.
High school (9-12th grade) learners:
- Tuesdays- 1:30-3:30pm --No math support available
- Wednesdays- 8:30-10:30am--No math support available
- Thursdays- 10:30-12:30 and 1:30-3:30pm
Middle School (6th-8th grade) learners
- Thursdays 10:30-12:30 and 1:30-3:30pm
- To ensure student safety, drop-ins during these times are NOT allowed.
- Thursday Afternoon time has shifted due to Career Center dismissal/bus schedule
Drop-off and pick-up on the Career Center side.
- High School--High School classroom
- Middle School--Middle school homeroom (Room 350)
If your learner plans to attend an ISL during the week (high school learners: Tues., Weds., and/or Thurs.; Middle school learners: Thursday). Lunch order must be placed by Friday, the week prior to Mrs. Kitko at email@example.com
We do not accept cash or check for lunch. Learner lunch account must be set up with funds by clicking here: https://www.schoolcafe.com/
Free/Reduced lunch application is online, here (paper copy is available upon request):
QUESTIONS? Reach out to one of your teachers.
MAP Testing Follow-up
MAP testing is DONE! If your learners has to complete a MAP assessment, your teachers will be reaching out for makeup testing. These will more then likely occur during class time. Questions? Contact your teacher.
A huge thank you to:
- learning coaches for your extra trips to school these last few weeks.
- learners for patience with technology issues.
- Mrs. Nommensen and teachers for facilitating testing and creating positive testing environments.
In the next few weeks, OVS teachers will be analyzing data, setting goals with learners, and MAP scores will be distributed at parent teacher conferences in October. Below are resources for families to help you learn more about NWEA MAP.
Welcome Mrs. Hinderaker
OVS Elementary School Counselor
More about Mrs. Hinderaker
This is my 15 year in the district.
First four years I was a classroom teacher at Skinner. I taught first grade for one year, second grade for two years and third grade for a year.
I received my Masters in Counseling from UNO. I was a counselor at King Elementary for 10 years before moving over to Gifford Park.
I love what I do as a school counselor but my pride and joy is my two year old daughter Naomi.
Scholastic Book Orders--ONLINE
ORDER BY: September 30th
- Go to: https://clubs.scholastic.com/
- Click on "Parents-Get Started" (see image below)
- Enter our class/school code: KQTWN
- Choose your books, pay with credit card or PayPal and submit your order
- Books will be delivered to school and distributed to learners
Ms. Rogers facilitates this for our whole program. Each order supports our school with FREE books! We will facilitate orders periodically throughout the year.
Thank you for your support!
Learning Facilitator Updates
Omaha Virtual School
OVS is committed to empowering life-long learners by developing collaborative relationships. Within our community, we provide an innovative, personalized learning experience. Success in this mission will cultivate critical thinkers who have the tools to contribute to a changing global society.
Future ready, today.
Growth Value, Positivity, Collaboration, Integrity, Accountability, Self-advocacy