SPARK Academy Newsletter - October 22, 2021
Thank you for making book fair a MONSTER success!
$10,000 Be Healthy School Grant
We are getting a new obstacle course!
We were recently awarded a $10,000 Be Healthy School Grant from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama. The Be Healthy grants are awarded to implement health and wellness programs that keep students healthy and active while emphasizing exercise, nutrition, and parental involvement during the school year.
We will use these grant proceeds to focus on physical fitness and wellness by adding a nine-unit obstacle course to their playground. This addition will provide students the opportunity to increase their upper body strength, balance, and agility. The obstacle course will include monkey bars, balance beam, hurdles, agility poles, a climbing net, and more. Students will be able to use the equipment in both physical education and recess.
Since 2012, Blue Cross has awarded over $1,019,000 in Be Healthy School Grants statewide, impacting nearly 57,500 students. These grants are awarded to schools that enroll students in grades K-6. For more information on the Be Healthy School Grant Program, visit https://www.bcbsal.org/web/be-healthy-school-grants.html.
Halloween Costume Guidelines for Friday, October 29
Student may wear costumes. Please be aware of the following guidelines:
1) No face paint will be allowed.
2) No props can accompany your child to school.
3) Our school will not be responsible for damaged or lost costumes.
4) Please make sure that your child can attend to restroom needs without the assistance of an adult.
5) Costumes associated with violence and horror should NOT be worn.
6) If costumes do not meet guidelines, parent may be called.
ACS Transitioning to Mask Recommended
Dear ACS Families,
Thank you for your support and cooperation as we work through these unprecedented times. I am pleased to report that our school system and community continue to experience a decrease in positive COVID-19 cases. Therefore, beginning October 18, 2021, Athens City Schools will transition our indoor masking policy from “Mask Required” to “Mask Recommended”.
Under the new "Mask Recommended" Policy:
- It is recommended that masks are worn when physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- Restrictions on lunch visits will remain in place until further notice.
- Masks may be required for individual classrooms, schools, or the entire school system should positivity rates increase.
- Families should continue to monitor for COVID-19 symptoms at home. Do not send sick children to school. Contact your school nurse with questions concerning sickness and to report sickness.
- Masks will continue to be required while students are transported on any school bus as required by the CDC.
We look forward to an amazing rest of the school year!
Beth Patton, Superintendent
Athens City Schools
SPARK Artists Honored
We are proud of our SPARK Students whose artwork will be on display in the Children's Community Gallery at the Huntsville Museum of Art from October 18- November 14.
The students who received this honor are Piper Baker, Laurel Abney, Nyla Reese, William Truett, Natalia Aguilar, Asa Henson, Carter Nobles, Xavien Bryant, Aaron Vazquez, and Lizbeth Ralios Juarez.
October 26: 2nd Grade Field Research at Cathedral Caverns
October 29: SPARK Halloween Trunk or Treat
November 4: Kindergarten Field Research at Birmingham Zoo
November 11: Veteran's Day Holiday (no school)
November 16: 1st Grade Field Research at Nashville Zoo
November 24-26: Thanksgiving Day Holidays (no school)
December 20-January 4: Christmas Holidays (no school)
2021-2022 School Calendar
Get the ACS app!
Get the Free App Now!
Never miss a weather alert, school closing or important update. Download the ACS mobile app to stay connected at all times. Use the app to can check calendars, lunch menus, and receive "push" notifications about school events and weather emergencies. Download the free app today at the App Store for iPhones or Google Play for Android devices. Search "Athens City School System."
Be sure to allow alerts, pushes and banners in your phone settings under "notifications" to properly receive notifications. In the app settings, please select the schools from which you wish to receive updates. Contact our office with any questions. 256.233.6600.