Mrs. Ralston's Grade One Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- Friday, January 29 - Staff organizational day; no school for students.
- Friday, February 5 - 11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack and return Star Homework)
- Tuesday, February 9- 100th Day of School!!! 100 Day cape project due.
- Friday, February 12 - 11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack and return Star Homework). We will also be celebrating Valentine's Day in our classroom on this day.
- Monday, February 15 - No school for staff and students; Family Day holiday.
- Friday, February 19 - 11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack and return Star Homework)
1) Literacy: This week we were introduced to 2 new characters who will help us remember the letters and sounds that we need for reading and spelling. Have your child tell you one thing they remember about Old Joe Crow and Sheriff Shadrack. Then have them tell you what sound these characters likes the best, and what letter or letter combinations represent that sound. Old Joe Crow (long o: o__e, oa, oe, o) and Sheriff Shadrack (sh, ti, ci).
2) Sight Words: Our new sight words of the week were "go", "so", and "no". Feel free to make new flashcards with these words to add to your current collection for Star Homework practice. These words all have an open o at the end. Have your child teach you what this means.
3) Writing: We have been learning that good writers use a lot of description when they write. We spent a lot of time this week discussing the importance of nouns and adjectives in writing. Watch as your child brings writing home over the next while and have them point out the adjectives (or describing words) that they are using to make their writing more interesting.
4) Math: In math we are continuing to work with number. We talk a lot about how numbers are patterns. See if your child can explain in their own words what this means. Below are some great ideas of activities you can do at home to help your child become more comfortable with numeracy.
A Glimpse Into Our Classroom...
Corporal Graham...our celebrity reader!
Loved all the costumes for favorite book character day!
The incredible cake that Mrs. Monnette made us to celebrate Literacy week!