Catch the Wind
Weekly Faculty and Staff Bulletin 10/19 - 10/23
October 19: Quarter 1 STAR Party - Click here to see list of students. 235 students made it on the STAR list for Quarter 1! Congratulations to all the students who met their goals. Students can begin taking AR tests for 2nd Quarter.
- 8:15 - 9:00: Kindergarten
- 9:00 - 9:45: 1st Grade
- 10:05 - 10:50: 2nd Grade
- 10:55 - 11:40: 3rd/4th Grade
- 12:20 - 1:05: 5th Grade
- 1:05 - 2:00: 6th Grade
- Grade K Articulation at 12:30 pm in B1
- GT Committee Meeting at 2:30 pm in the Office Conference Room
- Grade 3 Articulation at 10:15 am in B1
- Grade Level Meeting at 2:00 - 2:50 pm
- Grades Preschool and K Field Trip - Waimanalo Pumpkin Patch: Bring a disposable home lunch
- Grade 4 Articulation Meeting at 10:15 am in B1
- Grade 1 Articulation Meeting at 12:30 pm in B1
- Principal Out - New Principals Academy
- Trisha Kim Out - Academic Coaches Meeting
- Make-Up Picture Day: Order forms are in the office
- Grade 5 and 6 Articulation at 9:00 am in B1
- Grade 2 Articulation at 9:00 am in B1
- Grade 1 Playground Clean Up at 9:00 am
Message from Keoki
This month is extremely busy. We have everything from parent teacher conferences to our guided visit on 10/27 and our PC day on 10/29. Before we know it, we will be in November and off toward the holidays.
Here are a few things to look out for:
- Guided Visit- on 10/27 we will be visited by our colleagues from the Kalaheo Complex. Our ILT will meet prior to create the schedule and the walk-thru sheets that will be used by the visitors. You will have that information. The overall focus will be on our PIP (Powerful Instructional Practice) of using formative instruction and data teams. Our colleagues are simply providing a lens for us and will be giving us feedback on how well we are using our PIPs.
- Data Teams- Last quarter was a great start for our Data Teams. Thanks to Trisha for leading the efforts, but we did some amazing things as a school with this powerful practice. One thing that I think we all learned was the fast turnaround from the pre-assessment to the post assessment. In thinking about that, please prepare yourselves for Quarter 2 Data Teams. We will continue to dive deeper into this process and I know the upper grades are looking at using the SBA assessments as a common assessment tool. Its important to also reflect on the instructional strategies in terms of what to do differently for the different levels of proficiency.
- Parent/Teacher Conferences- These important conferences are always filled with excitement as we get to meet the parents and talk about all the learning that took place in Quarter 1. Sometimes you have parents who do not understand the grading system in Hawaii, and sometimes you have those wonderful parents who ask lots of questions :). Please be prepared, if you need support or feel as though a particular parent might present some challenges, let me know and we can come up with a plan.
- Academic Plan- We are going to go through a substantial process this quarter to create our draft academic plan. Please know, your input is welcomed and needed and the plan that is finally created will be largely based on what you say as an individual teacher and grade level/team.
Tech Tip of the Week
October 26 - 30: Red Ribbon and Bully Prevention Week Activites
- Monday: Theme: Friends Don't Let Friends Bully or Do Drugs
Red Ribbon and Bullying Prevention Week Kick-off assembly at 8:15 in the cafe
- Tuesday: Theme: Team Up Against Bullying
Wear a Team Jersey
Cheer competition by grade level at lunch
- Wednesday: Theme: Wild About Being Drug Free
Crazy Hair Day
Crazy Hair Contest by class at lunch
- Friday: Theme: My Character Counts, I'm Drug Free
Wear a favorite character costume
Character Parade around campus at 8:15 - Parents welcome to attend and take
pictures. Faculty and staff are invited to wear a minion costume or another costume of
- SCC Meeting at 3:00 pm in the library
- ILT Guided Visit - more info to come
- Report Cards will be printed
- Kalaheo Complex PC Day at `Aikahi - more info to come