February 1st, 2016
Global Play Day!
Ideas of Good Toys to Bring to School:
-any building/creative play sets
*Please note that these materials will be shared as a class during the day, so valuable/irreplaceable toys should not be brought to school.
Our Focus this Week
What We are Learning This Week
· Writing Workshop: Since we finished our poetry unit last week, this week we will focus on editing the poems. In the process, we will review nouns, pronouns, and adjectives.
· Reading Workshop: This week we will enter a new unit on Folktales. We will look at fairytales by exploring some versions of the famous Three Little Pigs story, reviewing these skills: point of view, character traits, and character motivation.
· Spelling: Suffixes -er and -or (examples: worker, teacher, contractor, etc.)
· Math Workshop: Fractions - We will continue to talk about comparing fractions and finding equivalent fractions, as we wrap up our unit. We will also begin talking about time by looking at how our fraction knowledge can help us determine the meaning of words like half past, quarter to, etc.. If you would like to follow our learning in your Envision math books at home, we will be covering these lessons... Monday (10-6), Tuesday (10-8), Wednesday (Global Play Day), Thursday (9-6 & 12-1), and Friday (12-2). For problem-solving please look at 9-8 & 10-9.
· Science: We are transitioning to a mini-unit in which we will review the role of a scientist and the steps to the scientific method.
Math: We will work on telling time to the nearest minute. You can visit this website if you do not have any non-digital clocks at home - http://www.oswego.org/ocsd-web/games/ClassClock/clockres.html.
Reading: As you read together this week talk about the point of view of each character in the story. Do the characters agree or are there opposite points of view present in the story?
Try out MobyMax by going to https://www.mobymax.com/signin!
Volunteering in our Classroom
-Reading with Students
-Helping with a Clerical Task
-Talking to Students about your Work Skills or Hobbies
-Being an Expert who Teaches us a Lesson during a Science or Social Studies Unit
then please contact me through email@example.com, and we will work to find an available date for you to come in. We love learning from our volunteers!
Please order books online through the link below. Our classroom code is L9MT8. Thank you!
What's Going on Here at Cumberland Road Elementary School?
Upcoming CRES Events
Wednesday, February 3rd: Global Play Day
Friday, February 5th: Half-Day for Students & Favorite Football Shirt Day
February 8th-12th: Kindness Week
Monday, February 15th: President's Day - No School
Tuesday, February 16th: Flex Day
**Get this Special Event on Your Calendar**
April 22nd: CRES Fest
Lunch Visits and Background Checks
For more information on background checks and the anti-bullying webinar, please visit: