Books for Native American Month
Attached is how to judge Native instructional resources: https://web.kamihq.com/web/viewer.html?state=%7B%22ids%22%3A%5B%221UYov-bmYkwTe7aCOvgsqhWfH379xamQM%22%5D%2C%22action%22%3A%22open%22%2C%22userId%22%3A%22111139043380229068734%22%7D&filename=scan_flemisa_2022-10-18-12-49-25.pdf&kami_user_id=36678313#:~:text=https%3A//kami.app/qKf%2DFLs%2DcgM%2DJhE
pre-k - 2nd grade
Traci Sorell, is a Cherokee Author who has a modern apporach to writing.Here is an interview with the Author,
- Link to Bloom's Project https://cynthialeitichsmith.com/kidbooks/kids_index/jingle/jingle_multi-intell/
- A Jingler Dress Dancer How to https://youtu.be/m9ZQBpCJJc8
We Are Water Protectors
Carole Lindstrom is Anishinabe/Metis and is tribally enrolled with the Turtle Mountain Band of Ojibwe. She was born and raised in Nebraska and currently makes her home in Maryland.
- Read Aloud by Author with native spoken words https://youtu.be/SjNmBNTFICM
- With this Book I would suggest making Fry Bread in the Classroom https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSTJmFNVzPaDogOLpOmOMJuG8eF3u6uVnI5Xobf2dbvahD8qZKMOLCSe_UCpe_aup4TXFjhrfxIYJT_/pub
The Cloud Artist
During the publishing process it was discovered that Sherri Maret and The Cloud Artist Choctaw illustrator, Merisha Sequoia Clark, were cousins!
- Here is an activity suggested by the author https://www.sherrimaret.com/?page_id=3437
- Another quick and easy acitvity would be to give each student chalk or white cryon to creat thier own Cloud Pictures.
Keepunumuk Weeachumus's Thanksgiving Story
- The Standards Used are From Massachusetts Kindergarten https://bioneers.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Bioneers-Thanksgiving-Curriculum-Thanksgiving-Lesson-Plan-K-Introducing-Keepunumuk.pdf
- 1st grade plans https://bioneers.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Bioneers-Thanksgiving-Curriculum-Thanksgiving-Lesson-Plan-1st-Grade-Animals.pdf
- Make Nasamp, A Wampanoag Recipe https://bioneers.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Bioneers-Thanksgiving-Curriculum-Nasamp-recipe.pdf
Brenda J. Child who was born on the Red Lake Ojibwe Reservation in Northern Minnesota.
At the Mountain's Base
- Educator's Guide https://www.penguinclassroom.com/books/at-the-mountain-s-base/
3rd grade - 5th grade
Classified The Serect Career of Mary Gold Ross
Traci Sorell is a Cherokee author.
We Are Still Here!
- How the Book Came to Be https://youtu.be/ZhY8ivPxE9c
- Suggestion have the students create a tri-fold board on the issues in the book.
Jojo Makoons and The Used-To-Be Best Friends
- Here is an interview with the Author. https://youtu.be/gSM3Osf0pwc
Jojo Makoons and Fancy Pants
- Here is a story board to be completed for this book.
- This is a brand new book. So we have created a lesson plan for Wilma Mankiller, and she is now on a new quarter.
- Here is viedo about Wilma Mankiller, and The Bell Water Project. https://www.pbs.org/video/bell-water-project-u3ln8z/
Cynthia Leitich Smith is a member of the Muscogee Nation.
- Here is an educator guide https://cynthialeitichsmith.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Indian-Shoes-Educator-Guide.pdf
The Reluctant Storyteller
Art Coulson is of Cherokee, English, and Dutch descent and from a family of storytellers (in all three traditions!)
- Here is an activity to complete with the book. https://kami.app/3ef-qxa-LtH-EhD
Rain is Not My Indian Name
- Here is an Educator Guide. https://cynthialeitichsmith.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Rain-Educator-Guide-3.pdf
Joseph Bruchac is a proud Nulhegan Abenaki citizen.
- Discussion Guide from Penguim Classroom https://www.teachingbooks.net/media/pdf/activity_guides/58697.pdf
- Here is interview with Joseph Bruchac https://youtu.be/nQrema3KMpo
The Rez Detectives
- Using Canva which is free to use, to create a comic book. Canva is found in clever.
- Here is a recorded author event with M.L. Smoker. https://youtu.be/g9spN5yo-Bs
The Second Chance of Benjamin Waterfalls
- Here is a link to a discussion Guide. http://www.mackidsschoolandlibrary.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/THE-SECOND-CHANCE-OF-BENJAMIN-WATERFALLS_RGG.pdf
An American Sunrise
- Here is teaching Guide for this. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ywzuRYKyJ9km4m6pCCmX56uxNa4RbbC4m2W7rlBWnVU/edit
- This book would be great to help the students understand wearing orange. https://harbourfrontcentre.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Orange-Shirt-Day-2020-Teachers-Resource-Guide.pdf#page=6
If I Go Missing
- Here is a interview with the author https://winnipeg.citynews.ca/video/2019/12/02/17-year-old-author-releases-book-about-mmiwg/
- Here is a reading guide. https://d33213apryksis.cloudfront.net/reading-guides/RG-9781443460675.pdf
Apple in the Middle
Dawn Quigley is an enrolled citizen of the Turtle Mountain Band of Ojibwe.
- Here is an interview with the author. https://youtu.be/cz3nyTQ6NM4