Elementary Curriculum Newsletter
The OFFICE of TEACHING and LEARNING 365-5727
CCS Professional Development
September 18, 2018
Linmoor Education Center (2001 Hamilton Ave.)
4:15 pm - 6:15 pm
The Developmental Writing Collection is a CCS tool to support writing instruction.
This PD will focus on aligning your current writing instruction with the Developmental Writing Collection. Use current instruction to work for you rather than adding "one more thing" to your already busy schedule.
- Instruction is now based on the 2017 State Standards. Highlights of the changes in Math can be found for each grade level under the tab 2017 Revised Standards. Ohio’s Learning Standards document which includes all standards is also included.
- Math has a new Scope & Sequence for each grade level. It is based on the Math Critical Areas of Focus for each grade.
- Clear Learning Targets have been revised to reflect the changes in the standards. These documents provided clarity of standards expectations.
- New Problems of the Day are available at the start of the year.
- Each grade level will find a model unit of study under the Model Units tab in the Digital Binder.
- Informational training modules for Clear Learning Targets, Scope and Sequence, and the Getting Started Documents are available for teachers.
- New Blueprints for state testing have been released and are available for each grade level.
- New Model Curriculum is available for each grade level.
- Items have been released from the 2017 state test and can be found under testing resources.
- New Practices tests are available in the state test portal that reflect the 2017 Standards changes. The scoring guides are available in the testing resources.
- New Performance Level Descriptors are available in the testing resources.
- Test Specifications are available for each grade level. The document includes information about the test. You will want to look specifically at the information about the DOK levels and types of interactions students will see on the on-line test.
- Clear Learning Targets have been updated to reflect the Revised Standards and new Model Curriculum.
- I Can Statements have been updated to reflect the Revised Standards. These are available in 3 formats.
- The RIMP document has been updated. District RIMP clinics will be held October 2 and October 23. Sample RIMP documents can be found in the digital binder.
- The Writing Portfolio will be replaced by the Developmental Writing Collection. Rubrics have been edited to more closely align to the standards. District PD offerings are September 18 and November 13.
- An Electronic Writing Collection will be piloted in grades 4 and 5 this year. Interested teachers may contact Amber Bernal, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student Friendly Checklists have been created to support writing instruction.
- Informational training modules have been created for “Getting Started with a Balanced Literacy Framework,” “Understanding and Using the Clear Learning Targets,” and “Developmental Writing Collection,”. Additional training modules on “RIMP State Requirements and Expectations,” and “RIMP: Completing the RIMP in Infinite Campus” will be Coming Soon!
- Powerpoints used for Professional Development purposes will also be added to the resource binder. Coming Soon!
- Instructional Digital Binder- Under Vocabulary Instructional Strategy ideas for Science Vocabulary documents for K-5th grades. The document contains ideas for teaching content vocabulary words and includes grade level specific vocabulary.
- Instructional Digital Binder - Under CCS Reservation Forms Engineering is Elementary (EiE) Kit reservation form is now available for teachers that have been trained in EiE or attend an engineering professional development through CCS. Print the form, make sure to have administrator sign, and send to Heather Allen at Linmoor Education Center or scan and email email@example.com.
- Instructional Digital Binder- Under 5th Grade AIR Assessment Resources 5th grade AIR Science Released Test Questions
SOCIAL STUDIES Updates
- Instructional Digital Binder - Under Vocabulary Vocabulary lists and cards for 3rd-5th grades.
- A Traveling Trunk that is themed with activities, artifacts and lessons for the Underground Railroad will be available for check out. Check out information coming soon!
INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNOLOGY Update
- Instructional Digital Binder - Library and Media Services CCS website has been updated. Links to the technology resources supported by the department are included in the digital binder.
- Instructional Digital Binder - Updated links for free Google Templates has been added.
ELA - RIMP
Ohio’s Third Grade Reading Guarantee is a program to identify students from kindergarten through grade 3 that are behind in reading. Schools provide help and support to make sure students are on track for reading success by the end of third grade. Students in kindergarten-3rd grade are given a reading diagnostic test to determine if they are reading on grade level. Kindergarten students are given the KRA Language and Literacy domain. Retained K and 1st-3rd grade students take the MAP Reading Diagnostic. A Reading Improvement and Monitoring Plan (RIMP) is developed for all students who are not reading on level.
Diagnostic assessments for K-3rd grade students should be administered by Friday, September 28, 2018.
Monday, September 17, 2018
Federal law requires that all schools receiving federal funds hold an educational program for their students on September 17 of each year.
Source - US Department of Education https://www2.ed.gov/policy/fund/guid/constitutionday.html
You must be logged into your CCS Google Account to access the document.