May Panther News
Griffith Public Schools
Cleaning the Calumet River
Two Griffith students from Wadsworth Elementary were recently spotted along the riverbanks of Calumet River! Students, Lylah Spriggs and Della Wisinski, worked very hard and through a team effort their Girl Scout Troop pulled 90 tires from the river area!! Thank you Lylah and Della! We are very proud of you and your troop for helping clean our river!
Griffith YMCA Togetherhood Day
YMCA (mulch, safety glasses, garbage bags, shovels, wheel barrows, weed whackers and gloves)
- Landscaping at entire perimeter.
BIKE TRAIL (mulch, safety glasses, garbage bags, shovels, wheel barrows, weed whackers and gloves)
- 45th Avenue fence/parking Lot area. To work south to Elm Street.
- Colfax Street mulch and clean up at end of trail.
- Avenue B mulch and clean up
- Clean out wooded area/ditch at bike trail between Lake St and Wiggs Street.
CENTRAL PARK (mulch, safety glasses, garbage bags, shovels, wheel barrows, weed whackers and gloves)
- Mulch ornamental trees along pathways, and recently planted trees.
- Mulch triangle area at clock tower and park signage.
- Placard replacements at parks that are damaged.
PANTHER PARK (mulch, garbage bags, shovels, wheel barrow and gloves)
- Mulch perimeter of garage and small trees, if any, near bike trail.
SOUTH PARK (mulch, garbage bags, shovels, wheel barrow and gloves)
- Mulch picnic pavilion perimeter and recently planted trees. Pick up debris and sticks.
- Clean ditch along Broad Street by South Park Soccer Fields.
- Clean up at street north of South Park – Avenue D from Cline Avenue to Griffith Blvd.
- Avenue H – From Broad Street to Cline Avenue.
CHEEVER PARK (mulch, garbage bags, shovels, wheel barrow and gloves)
- Mulch 1’-0” around washroom structure perimeter.
- Mulch and de-weed bushy area at flagpole near cell tower.
- Smooth out southeast dirt areas and plant grass seed.
WOODLAND PARK (mulch, garbage bags, shovels, wheel barrow and gloves)
- Spread between 50-80 cubic yards of playground mulch.
TOT PARK (mulch, garbage bags, shovels, wheel barrow and gloves)
- Spread mulch around senior center perimeter, and trees if volunteers available.
RAILROAD TRACKS - SOUTH BROAD STREET (SOUTH OF TRACKS) (mulch, garbage bags, shovels, dump truck vehicle, safety vests, hard hats and gloves)
- Clean track perimeters of debris from downtown to North Arbogast – GPD to lead effort with group and railroad safety workers – safety vests, garbage bags and safety glasses.
NORTH BROAD STREET (mulch, garbage bags, shovels, wheel barrow, safety glasses, gas chain saw, and gloves)
- Fire Station at bridge, including the area of land just east of Pepe’s.
MISCELLANEOUS AREAS OF TOWN (garbage bags, shovels, wheel barrow and gloves)
- North and south outer banks of the Caddy Marsh Ditch, particularly between Wood and Colfax
Wooded area north of 35th Ave, between Westfield and Arbogast.
DOWNTOWN FLOWER BEDS (mulch, garbage bags, shovels, wheel barrow and gloves)
TRAIN DEPOT (mulch, safety glasses, garbage bags, shovels, wheel barrows, weed whackers and gloves)
- By Depot, gulley area, clear weeds and debris.
VOLUNTEERS ARE STILL NEEDED!!!
Please contact Mr. Rich Leber for more information and/or if you wish to volunteer!
6th Grade Transition at Griffith Public Schools
At our monthly Board of School Trustees meeting in April, Mrs. Riise, Griffith Superintendent, placed an item entitled 6th grade Transition on the board agenda. She wanted to know if the board had made a decision on whether the district is moving 6th graders to the MS. Mr. Sutton summarized what the agenda item meant for those in the audience. A board member, Mr. McCarter, responded with a motion. Ultimately, it was an unanimous decision in favor of the move.
The motion made granted the superintendent a year to make this 6th grade transition to the MS occur in the fall of 2020 for our current 4th graders.
With this being said, Mrs. Riise will be working with administrators, parents, board, and our 6th grade teachers to ensure that we make this transition a smooth one, as well as design their learning to be the best yet:) This work will begin in the fall of 2019 with those interested to be a part of this team!
According to IDOE, ILEARN measures student achievement and growth according to Indiana Academic Standards. ILEARN is the summative accountability assessment for Indiana students and assesses:
- English/Language Arts (Grades 3-8)
- Mathematics (Grades 3-8)
- Science (Grades 4 and 6)
- Social Studies (Grade 5)
- Biology (High School)
- U.S. Government – Optional (High School)
The ILEARN assessments are entirely new and built from the ground up with Indiana Educators.
ILEARN is a computer-adaptive test for Mathematics and English/Language Arts. Computer-adaptive assessments adjust the test questions that students see based on their performance. This adaptation allows each student to receive an individualized assessment that provides more precise data about student achievement. To learn more about computer-adaptive tests, visit our Assessment Literacy page on IDOE website.
For Science and Social Studies, ILEARN is an online fixed form assessment. This means that all students within a grade level will receive the same test questions when taking these assessments.
The primary test mode is online. Paper, Large Print, and Braille materials will only be available for students as an accommodation.
The American Institutes for Research, or AIR, will provide student proficiency information by August 15, 2019 for the 2018-2019 school year. This is a later date than data will be provided in the future as Standard Setting (determining cut scores) must occur over the summer. More information on obtaining test results will be provided as we acquire the information.
Please take a look at the ILEARN family brochure provided below.
LAST DAY FOR PANTHER STUDENTS!
REMINDER FOR PARENTS OF NEW KINDERGARTEN STUDENTS
- Bring child's original birth certificate and immunization records.
- To be eligible for kindergarten, child must be 5 years old on or before August 1, 2019.
- If child is 5 by September 1, 2019 for the 2019/20 school year, parent/legal guardian can write a letter of appeal to the building principal by August 2019. Superintendent has the final decision on the enrollment of child into kindergarten.
- Enrollment is open to only Griffith residents.
- For more information, please contact the elementary school in which your child will be attending.
All new kindergarten students and any other new students are to attend In Person Registration on July 24, 2019 between the hours of 7am and 5pm.
Look for the Online Registration Portal to open again on July 8th!