All the things you need to be one

Tasks/Job Duties that you commonly perform in being a lawyer

•Represent clients in court or before government agencies.

•Present evidence to defend clients or prosecute defendants in criminal or civil litigation.

•Interpret laws, rulings and regulations for individuals and businesses.

•Present and summarize cases to judges and juries.

•Evaluate findings and develop strategies and arguments in preparation for presentation of cases.

Skills that you need to become one

Critical Thinking — using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.

Reading Comprehension — Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.

Judgment and Decision Making — Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.

Writing — communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.

Persuasion — persuading others to change their minds or behavior.

Your interests that would be helpful for this career



92% of the workers of this profession have a doctoral or professional degree. The other 8% have a master’s degree. All lawyers must have a law degree and must also typically pass a state’s written bar examination

Working Conditions

· Indoors, Environmentally Controlled — how often does this job require working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions?

· Telephone — how often do you have telephone conversations in this job?

· Letters and Memos — how often does the job require written letters and memos?

· Structured versus Unstructured Work — to what extent is this job structured for the worker, rather than allowing the worker to determine tasks, priorities, and goals?

· Contact With others — how much does this job require the worker to be in contact with others (face-to-face, by telephone, or otherwise) in order to perform it?

· The majority of lawyers work in private and corporate legal offices. Some work for local, state, and federal governments. The majority work full time, and many work long hours.

Work Values

Recognition — Occupations that satisfy this work value offer advancement, potential for leadership, and are often considered prestigious. Corresponding needs are Advancement, Authority, Recognition and Social Status.

Achievement — Occupations that satisfy this work value are results oriented and allow employees to use their strongest abilities, giving them a feeling of accomplishment. Corresponding needs are Ability Utilization and Achievement.

Independence — Occupations that satisfy this work value allow employees to work on their own and make decisions. Corresponding needs are Creativity, Responsibility and Autonomy.

- Contribution – economic, non-economic, participation in firm management, recruiting, mentoring/training, business development, involvement in the community, etc.

- Behavioral – teamwork, work ethic, commitment to service excellence, following firm policies, treating others with respect, stewardship of firm resources, availability, accessibility, timekeeping, billing and collecting, etc.

Wages/Employment Outlook

$54.58 hourly

$113,530 annual


Employment (2012) 760,000 employees

Projected growth (2012-2022) Average (8% to 14%)

Projected job openings (2012-2022) 196,500