Happy Friday Cougar Families!
Thank you all for your support in helping us celebrate Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week! The statements of appreciation you provided for Thankful Thursday have a major impact that lasts well beyond this week. If you weren’t able to get around to it this week, please reach out directly to a teacher or staff member and thank them for their service. It is never too late to show your appreciation.
We are pleased to share the news that SCHS will be partnering with the McGrath Family YMCA to provide free, 3-month memberships for Steele Canyon Students. Students will have a chance to focus on their physical and mental health while using the facilities and programs this summer. To participate, please sign up for a membership at the McGrath YMCA, show your Steele Canyon High School ID, and the cost of the membership will be covered by Steele Canyon High School. Participation limited to new memberships.
Leader In Training Program (L.I.T)
YMCA will be offering two weeks of this training, June 19-23 and June 26-30. Steele Canyon will cover this program cost for interested students (limited to first 40 students to apply)
The LIT/CIT program is designed for teens to learn what it takes to work with campers and gain real world and life experience through communication skills, management techniques and building their self-confidence. LIT/CIT's will also receive CPR and First Aid training. Click here to submit your interest.
- May 16th - May 18th: Senior Interviews. May 16th and 18th are minimum days.
- Wednesday, May 17th: School Site Council @ 3:45pm and Governing Board @ 5pm
- Thursday, May 18th: Dance Show
- Friday, May 19th: Blood Drive 8:30am-2pm
- Friday, May 19th: Senior Only Assembly
- Tuesday, May 23rd: Spring Picture Day for 9th-11th Grade
- Wednesday, May 24th: Cap/Gown pick up from 8:30am-10am
- Friday, May 26th: Senior Send-Off Assembly
- Saturday, May 27th: Prom
- Monday, May 29th: Memorial Day - No School
- Tuesday, May 30th: Coffee with the Principal @ 8:30am
- Wednesday, May 31st: Virtual Coffee with the Principal @ 5pm
- Wednesday, May 31st: Senior Awards
- Thursday, June 1st: Yearbook Distribution
- Friday, June 2nd: Senior Sunset
- Saturday, June 3rd: Baccalaureate
- Wednesday, June 7th: Last Day of School - Minimum Day
- Wednesday, June 7th: Senior Breakfast & Graduation Practice
- Thursday, June 8th: Class of 2023 Graduation @ 6pm
- Friday, June 9th: Grad Nite
Class of 2023 Information
The final weeks of senior year are upon us! Thank you to all the families who have reached out to help with the Class of 2023 senior events coming up. Specific details of each event and the assistance needed will be shared via Parent Square and our SCHS PTO social media sites so you can sign up directly. In brief, here are the events where your time and/or donations will be needed:
- Senior Awards (05/31/23; program begins at 6 p.m. in the Theater) – Donations light refreshments.
- Senior Baccalaureate (06/03/23; program begins at 10 a.m. at Skyline Church) – Donations of light refreshments and decorations.
- Senior Breakfast (06/07/23; served at 8:30 a.m. in Gymnasium) – Volunteers to set up, decorate and clean up. Donations of beverages and breakfast items. Shout out to the Jamul Kiwanis for providing the pancake and sausage breakfast!
- Grad Nite at Disneyland (06/09/23; grad check in at 8:30 a.m. in the SCHS Quad) – Volunteers to assemble and distribute snack bags. Donations of water and packaged snacks.
Thank you in advance for your support as we celebrate our Class of 2023 Graduates!
Minimum Days Tuesday and Thursday
Clothing Donations Needed!
ASB Cards for Next Year
Help your student get involved, stay spirited, and save money by purchasing them an ASB card for next school year; a $350 value for only $35!
Purchase ASB cards at home in 2 easy steps:
Enroll your student(s) in our online student store, “My School Bucks”
Purchase your 23-24 ASB card this week!
ASB Card - $35
The ASB card gets you FREE admission to all home sporting events, half-off admission at away games, discounts on dances, discounted admission to ASB events, an athletic letter, and a percentage off at select local restaurants.
Cougar Pack - $135 ($145 if purchased individually)
The Cougar Pack includes an ASB card, Homecoming Dance Ticket (Sept 30, 2023), and Yearbook
The price for an ASB Card increases to $40 on the first day of school, August 10, 2023
Questions? Please contact Lauren Ritchey in our Finance Office (619) 660-3537
Blood Drive on Friday, 5/19
Red Cross Club is hosting a Blood Drive on 5/19 from 8:30am-2pm. This is the perfect opportunity for any parents and student 17 and older to give back to the community. You can sign up in two simple steps! Links to sign up can be found on the ASB website under the Blood Drive tab.
Here is a video to help give you an idea of how important your participation is: Blood Drive
Please make time in your day to donate as you can save lives across the county!
Red Cross Club
Summer Career Academy Invitation
Cap & Gown Distribution
You are invited to the upcoming dance showcase entitled "Legends: A Tribute to..." on May 18th at 7pm! Our talented dancers have been working hard to bring this show to life and we cannot wait to share it with you.
To purchase tickets for the showcase, there is a presale option for $10 per ticket. This is a great opportunity to save some money and secure your seats before the event. Tickets will also be available at the door for $15 per ticket, but we recommend purchasing your tickets in advance to avoid any delays or lines at the door.
Dynasty Dance Team Tryouts
Broadway San Diego Awards
An Afternoon with Dean Chisnall Returns
An Afternoon with Dean Chisnall Returns on Saturday, May 20! We are excited for this special opportunity to have professional London stage actor, Dean Chisnall, return to our “house!” The afternoon will involve a Q & A with Mr. Chisnall and solo performances by Mr. Chisnall himself. Additionally, theatre and music students will have a special opportunity to share the stage with Mr. Chisnall in a couple performances that afternoon.. Lastly, there will be several opportunity drawings which will include a “Desserts with Dean” date Saturday, May 20th after the show for 2 winners (and the one special guest each winner invites)! A complimentary ticket will be reserved for each of our music and theatre students since they will be performing. Parents, family, and friends, please reserve your tickets HERE today! They will surely sell out fast!
Chase Rehurek won the Grossmont Hills league singles championship and fellow team mate, Adam Connor was the finalist. Congratulations!
Senior Events Calendar
Drive Safe - the Cougar Way
Friendly reminder to drive cautiously as you enter and exit the campus. Campus Supervisors are here to keep the traffic moving - please follow all traffic directions from security personnel. Reminder that we do not provide access for cars at the back of the school during the school day.