Kennedy Newsletter for Families
It's the most wonderful time of the year! Christmastime in an elementary school is nothing short of magic. Our hallways are full of excitement as we countdown to our Winter Break. We are so proud to be your neighborhood school. We have outstanding teachers and instructional assistants who take the job of educating your child very seriously.
I believe in our school, our students, and our educators. Kennedy is a special school with a closely knit community. Please let us know if you need anything.
Proud to serve you and the Lynn Garden Community,
Janice Irvin, Ed. D.
Attendance: From the Tennessee Department of Education
Our state is really looking closely at attendance and tardiness, so as a result so are we. Here is some information about guidelines. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to call our Kennedy Office @ 857-2700.
Beginning in the 2017-18 school year, chronic absenteeism will be a part of district and school accountability. The measure will be called the Chronically Out-of-School Indicator. This indicator will be based on what research calls chronic absenteeism, which is defined as a student missing 10 percent or more of the days the student is enrolled-for any reason, including excused absences and out-of-school suspensions. Excessive absences from school represent lost instructional time for a student.
What is the KCS Attendance Policy (also found in our student handbook)?
We believe good school attendance is imperative to a child’s success in school.
TRUANCY - An absence for the entire day, a major portion of the day, or the major portion of any class activity during the school day, for which the student is scheduled (without an excuse).
EARLY DISMISSAL - Missing a portion of the school day or portion of any class or activity during the school day for which the student is scheduled. A student must attend 3 hours and 16 minutes to be counted present for the day.
TARDINESS - Late arrival to school.
ABBREVIATED DAY - Dismissal time for abbreviated days is 12:15 p.m. (elementary school). Refer to the school calendar at www.k12k.com for a listing of abbreviated days.
ARRIVAL TO SCHOOL
Students are to remain on campus upon arrival. Start and end times are as follows:
Pre-K: 8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Elementary Schools: 8:15 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
All tardiness or early dismissals are considered unexcused unless documented with a note from a medical provider or approved by the appropriate school administrator.
- Students will be allowed to submit three (3) parental excuses per semester. All documentation regarding absences, whether a parent or medical excuse, it must be submitted upon the student’s return to school.
- All medical notes from a health care provider must be faxed to your child(ren)’s school clinic to ensure they are received in a timely manner. The school’s front office can provide the fax number.
- The principal is responsible for classifying student absences as excused or unexcused. While this duty may routinely be delegated to others, the principal has the final determination.
- Students who have more than nine (9) unexcused absences may not be permitted to participate in certain field trips or extracurricular events.
Any student who accumulates more than 35 hours absent unexcused due to signing in late or leaving early will be referred to the Coordinator of Attendance. These students will be considered to be in violation of the Attendance Law and may face all potential sanctions listed in the handbook.
Hooray for Ms. Hobbs!
Info on parties: Please contact your child's homeroom parent or your child's teacher for information about PreK, Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade Christmas Parties. Please do not send in homemade items. Our policy does not allow for homemade treats, students may only have store bought items. However, we CAN eat anything in the office. :)
12/13 at 6:00pm in Gym - "Share Bears" Program with Kindergarteners and 1st Graders
- students report to their classrooms by 5:45
- Kindergarteners are to wear jeans and green or red tops. Christmas accessories such as hats or headbands are welcome (there are some at the Dollar Store that are very cute!)
- 1st graders - Your child has chosen to be either a bear or a bee.
- Bears- wear black, brown or white top with sweat pants to match top or blue jeans.
- Bees- We have yellow shirts with black stripes. Please wear black pants or blue jeans.
12/21 - **SCHOOLWIDE PJ DAY!!!
- Please wear real shoes, no house shoes** Our annual Festival of Carols will be today in the Gym. Students won't want to miss it! Students dismissed at 12:15
December 22-January 7 - Christmas Break
January 8, 2019 - Back to School!