Friday, September 10, 2021
Message from Dr. Frischkorn
Good Evening Mayfield!
It's hard to believe, but we are quickly approaching the interim mark for the 1st quarter. That means that we are halfway through the 1st quarter of the school year. Interim reports provide parents a clear time to log in to their child's Parent Portal Account and check their child's progress. Again, grades should reflect the child's knowledge of the learning standards that the teacher is teaching.
Our school division did adopt a new grading policy that states that no child can receive a score below a 50% on any graded assignment. Our school division has a 10 point grade scale for all grades:
- 90%-100%: Letter Grade-A: This means that your child is excelling with learning the content teachers are teaching them. Keep up the exceptional work.
- 80%-89%: Letter Grade-B: This grade means that your child is doing really well. They are learning new concepts. There is a little room for improvement, but overall the student is doing really well in class.
- 70%-79%: Letter Grade-C: This grade signifies that your child is learning. There is room for improvement and growth, but they are learning.
- 60% to 69%: Letter Grade-D: This grade displays that your child is learning concepts but struggles. The student may be trying hard but requires extra support from the teacher and needs to be reviewing information more regularly.
- 50% to 59%: Letter Grade-F: This grade shows that your child is not learning the material. This may be due to several factors, including not turning in work, not completing assignments to their fullest potential, or simply not understanding the teachers' information. The teacher, student, and the student's parents need to work together to develop an improvement plan.
Dr. Donald Frischkorn
Remembering September 11, 2001
Resources for Teaching About 9/11:
- 9/11 Memorial & Museum - details the history and lessons learned with a new generation and teaches them about the ongoing impacts of the 9/11 attacks. This site offers public programs exploring 9/11’s continuing impact in the world, online programs for students and teachers, and youth and families. The online resources offer content and strategies for learning about the attacks and their aftermath.
- Library of Congress (LOC) - Witness and Response: September 11 Acquisitions at the Library of Congress - a collection of original material including prints, photographs, drawings, poems, eye-witness accounts and personal reactions, headlines, books, magazines, songs, maps, videotapes, and films that the LOC began collecting in 2002.
- National Education Association - provides lessons and resources to help provide context for examining events before, during, and after the attacks. Includes lesson collections, background information, and approaches to teaching.
Clubs are Starting Up at Mayfield
Robotics Club with Ms. Torres and Ms. Innamorato is accepting applications starting next week. Click on the following link to start the application process.
6th Grade Boys Basketball with Mr. Krizmanich will start soon. Permission slips will be sent home with 6th graders on Monday, September 13. This is limited to 60 students and spots fill up quickly. Please make sure to return your signed permission slip as soon as possible.
Dance Club will also be starting and Mrs. Harris will be the club sponsor. The dance club will learn choreographed moves and perform during the Boys Basketball games. This is our first dance club at Mayfield Intermediate and we are excited that Mrs. Harris is providing this opportunity.
Safety Patrol with Mrs. Dove is going to start soon as well. Mrs. Dove has an application process that will start next week. Students need to meet all the deadlines in the application process in order to be considered for a position on the Safety Patrol.
Covid-19 Notice to Mayfield Community
We are informing our school community that an individual at our school is being treated as having COVID-19. The individual affected is in isolation and will not return until the required isolation time has been completed. All close contacts have been contacted. Attached you will find the letter informing the community.
We wanted to make sure that families receive our email notifications that inform families when the school learns of a Covid-19 positive case on school grounds. When our nurse receives information that a student or staff member is being treated for Covid-19, she begins the contact tracing. Individuals identified as close contact or required to isolate for a period of time based on their last close contact with the individual. The school then informs the community via email using our Connect 5 messaging system. By the time our email is sent to the community, we have already notified all the close contacts.
We have sent email notifications on the following dates:
- August 24
- September 1
- September 7
- September 10
Fall Growth Assessment
Mayfield Test Date:
Tuesday, September 14
- 5th Grade-All students are taking the reading Growth Assessment
- 6th Grade- All Students are taking the math growth assessment
Tuesday, September 21
- 5th Grade-All students are taking the math Growth Assessment
- 6th Grade-All Students are taking the reading Growth Assessment
Students will be participating in a Fall Growth Assessment created by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) and will be administered between September 13-24. These assessments will help educators at the school determine the needed instructional supports that each student requires. Please read the attached letter from Dr. Goldzung, Director of Assessment and Accountability for Manassas City Public Schools. The letter is translated into Spanish as well.
Hispanic Heritage Month Starts September 15
Did you know that 436 Mayfield Intermediate School students shared that Spanish is their native language? That is an awesome statistic that again highlights the diverse community that we get to celebrate with every day that we come to school. We are fortunate to live in such a dynamic community that consists of people from worldwide.
Hispanic Heritage Festival in Old Town Manassas this Weekend
Gifted and Talented Referrals
***LAST WEEK TO SUBMIT A REFFERAL FOR GIFTED AND TALENTED*** Deadline is September 16
Manassas City Public Schools are committed to supporting and enhancing educational opportunities for all students. Our school division is looking for input from families on identifying students who show characteristics of being gifted and talented. Our Gifted and Talented Supervisor, Anthony Vargas, is looking for referrals. The best way to build our opportunities for students is to refer them and let our Gifted and Talented teachers review the child's record and work with the child to see if they qualify for the Gifted and Talented Program. If you believe that your child would benefit from going through the Gifted and Talented program, please complete the MCPS FT Referral below.
A Day/B Day Schedule for Next Week
Tuesday, September 14: B-Day
Wednesday, September 15: A-Day
Thursday, September 16: B-Day
Friday, September 17: A-Day
Important Dates Coming Up
- September 14, 2021: 1st Quarter Interim Reports
- October 14, 2021: End of the 1st Quarter
- October 15, 2021: Early Release: Teacher Workday
- October 21, 2021: Early Release: Parent-Teacher Conferences
- October 22, 2021: Student Holiday: Parent-Teacher Conferences