By: Ryan and Liz
John Dalton's 5 Ideas About the Atom
1) All matter is made of atoms. Atoms are indivisible and indestructible.
2) All atoms of a given element are identical in mass and properties.
3) Compounds are formed by a combination of two or more different kinds of atoms.
4) A chemical reaction is a rearrangement of atoms.
5) Atoms cannot be created or destroyed
Drawbacks in Dalton's Theory
1) Atoms can actually be destroyed by nuclear reactions, but not by chemical reactions. Also, they can be subdivided into Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons.
2) There are different kinds of Atoms differing by their masses within an element that are known as isotopes, but isotopes of an element have the same chemical properties.