The Scoop on 3Sc
January 29, 2016
Mrs. Schaefer's 3rd Grade Class
Our Week of Learning
Social Studies/ Writing
- This week students continued working hard on their Native American Reports. They cannot wait to share these with you at Open House on February 11.
- We continued our reading of Stone Fox and our work in our book clubs. We should be finishing up the novel by the end of next week.
- Students are also completing a skill project to accompany their reading. These will be displayed at Open House in February.
- Yesterday students were assigned the project of making a Dog Sled Race advertisement. Students were sent home with the directions page and construction paper needed for the project. I am excited to see these on Monday!
- This week we wrapped up our lessons on rounding to the nearest 10 and 100. We had a rounding snowball fight, a rounding cakewalk, and played a game called roll, round, and cover. Student also completed a round and color sheet.
- Next week we will introduce strategies for adding and subtracting 3-digit numbers.
Husky Heroes - The Morton Arboretum - This weekend!
The Morton Arboretum is sponsoring an event that connects to our most recent novel, Stone Fox. The event is called Husky Heroes.
Guests can watch demonstrations of husky sled-pulling and skijoring, a winter sport where the dogs pull a person on skis. Children and adults can visit the dogs and sled teams, inspect equipment and have their pictures taken with the rigs. Husky Heroes takes place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 30 and 31, at the Visitor Center and on nearby trails.
More information is available by clicking the following link : The Morton Arboretum - Husky Heroes
Reading is Sweet
Reminders and Upcoming Events
- January 30-31: Husky Heroes at Morton Arboretum
- February 4- 3rd grade Math COGAT testing
- February 9: Native American Projects Due
- February 11: Open House - 3rd Grade Concert
- February 12 - Wear red for Valentine's Day
- February 15: No School Presidents Day
Blurry Roller Skating Pictures!
- As we approach colder temperatures this is just a reminder that recess will be outdoors unless the temperature reaches below zero. Please be sure to send your child with the appropriate cold weather clothing - especially hats and gloves.
- In addition, students may not go on the equipment of into the field without snow pants and snow boots when there is snow on the ground.
There are tons of wonderful books available in this months book order. Many books are also available to order online through Scholastic Books.
Book order due date: Friday, January 22