COACH SOWE'S READ 180 CLASS
2ND AND 4TH PERIOD (MWF) 3RD AND 7TH PERIOD (MTTh)
Read 180 Syllabus
READ 180 SYLLUBUS
“YOUR CHILD; MY MISSION”
1. RESPECT YOURSELF, RESPECT YOUR PEERS, RESPECT ME
2. USE RESTROOM/ GET WATER BEFORE CLASS (USE THE PASSING PERIOD EFFECTIVLEY)
3. COME TO CLASS WITH MATERIALS
4. NO FOOD OR DRINKS (OTHER THEN WATER) WITHOUT MY PERMISSION
5. COME TO CLASS WITH AN OPEN MIND AND READY TO WORK
1. TURN IN ASSIGNMENTS ON TIME
2. ASSIGNMENTS MUST HAVE NAME AND CLASS PERIOD NUMBER
3. ASSIGNMENTS MUST BE TURNED INTO PROPER BASKET
1. IF YOU KNOW YOU WILL BE ABSENT AHEAD OF TIME, GET YOUR ASSIGNMENT(S) IN ADVANCE.
2. YOU WILL HAVE THE NUMBER OF DAYS MISSED PLUS ONE TO TURN IN ANY MISSING ASSIGNMENTS
1. YOU WILL BE COUNTED TARDY UNLESS YOU ARRIVE AT MY CLASSROOM WITH AN AUTHORIZED NOTE. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN AUTHORIZED NOTE, YOU WILL BE ASKED TO GET ON.
2. THREE UNEXCUSED TARDIES WILL RESULT IN PARENT CONTACT
1. NO TALKING
2. NO CHEATING
3. WHEN FINISHED, FLIP YOUR PAPER OVER AND RAISE YOUR HAND WHILE SITTING QUIETLY
DISCIPLANARY ACTIONS BY MR SOWE:
Each student will receive three hall passes per six weeks. The student can use each hall pass at his or her own discretion during small group instruction only, not during whole group. Once all three passes have been used in a given six weeks, the student will NOT be allowed to leave the class, with the exception of an emergency requiring the nurses or administrators attention.
If a student is tardy, does not have supplies, disruptive or disrespectful while in class, or not on task, he/she will receive a verbal warning. If he/she continues to not meet the expectations of the class, I will contact parents and inform them of the behavior. If the issue continues after the first two steps, the student will be sent to the office for further disciplinary action.
1. WHOLE GROUP/SMALL GROUP INSTRUCTION (25%)
2. INDEPENDENT READING (25%) – Quiz Averages, Reading Logs, Vocabulary Logs, Quick Writes
3. TEST (50%)
I DO accept late work. You may not turn it in during class, only before or after. Late work will be accepted up to three class days after the assignment is due. Twenty points will be deducted for each class day the assignment is late, if the student has not turned the assignment in by the third class day, the student will receive a zero for the assignment. For cases such as illness, death in the family, etc. there is a non-penalized grace period for late work.
Each student is required to read two books and complete supplemental paperwork covering the book each six weeks. Majority of the reading can be done in class however; some reading will have to be done at home.
DAILY CLASS ROUTINE:
Every day the student will be following the same routine (with the exception of Mondays). We will be working together as a class during Whole Group Instruction for the first 20-30 minutes of class. Then, the students will divide into three groups; these are known as Small Group Instruction. One group will work in Teacher Led Small Group with the teacher for 20-25 minutes, reinforcing the Whole Group lesson. The second group will be engaged in Independent Reading, making sure to keep track of vocabulary and reading logs. The third group will be working on Instructional Software. Each group will rotate to each station each day.
Each student will need the following supplies for READ 180 by September 3, 2013
1. (1) 1 inch 3 ring binder
2. (1) 1 subject wide ruled spiral notebook for notes
817-598-2847 EXT 3769
A little bit about me
My name is Anthony Sowe. I am entering my third year of teaching and coaching, all of which have been at the Weatherford High School Ninth Grade Center. My wife is a First Grade General Education teacher at Juan Seguin Elementary, We have two sons Jeremiah and Jackson. When I am not in the classroom, I love to spend my time hunting, fishing, and reading.