Update from the Middle
June 11, 2021
Distance Learning Portal
AMS Main Parking Lot Closed
AMS Main Parking Lot on Walker Avenue will become a construction zone.
WHEN will the parking lot close?
Monday, June 14th and will remain closed until completion this summer
WHERE will I park if I need to visit the school next week?
Parking is available in the ScienceWorks parking lot
DROP-Off & PICK-UP of students:
The ScienceWorks parking loop is available for drop-offs and pick-ups. However, this will greatly increase the traffic in this zone and we would highly recommend the following options:
- Walk/bike to school if possible
- Take the school bus to/from school
- If you have not used the bus this year, you will need to contact the bus barn to get registered, 541-482-3174
- Find a closer drop-off or pick-up location and have your child walk the rest of the way (Perhaps Hunter Park or Garfield Park)
- Please do not stop along Walker Avenue to drop-off or pick-up students creating traffic flow and safety issues
Thanks for your continued patience through our construction phases and the inconveniences!
AMS Farewell Ceremony Update
We’re excited to announce that the AMS 8th Grade Farewell Ceremony will take place on Friday, June 18 at the Ashland High School Football Stadium at 10:30 a.m. Current Oregon Department of Education distancing guidance limits the number of people who can attend the ceremony. Each student will receive two Farewell Ceremony Spectator Tickets and our ceremony will be available to view live streamed using an internet link, as well.
Below are some important bullet points to review:
- Students will report to the AHS Large gym at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, June 18
- The ceremony will start at 10:30 a.m., spectators should arrive no earlier than 10:15
- Two spectator tickets per student, per ODE distancing guidelines
- This event is outside on the AHS Turf Field, spectators will be seated throughout the bleachers
- Parking will be limited so family members will need to plan ahead, should anticipate parking in the neighborhood around AHS, and will want to allow for time to walk to the venue.
- The event will be in full sun, so sun protection and a water bottle are recommended
- The ceremony should finish around 11:30 a.m.
Farewell Ceremony Spectator tickets are now available for pick-up in the AMS office. The office is open from 7:30am – 4:00pm each school day.
→ We highly recommended you pick tickets up today while the front parking lot is still open. Today at 5:00p.m. the front parking lot will become a construction zone, making it more difficult to get to the AMS office. You will be able to park at Science Works and walk to the office.
2021-2022 AMS Athletic Registration is Now Open
Cross Country, Football & Volleyball are currently scheduled to start the first week of school. Optional conditioning may be available the week before school starts.
Make sure you are ready for the new season:
- Register Online at FamilyID
- Have a current Sports Physical on file. (A new one is required every 2 years.)
When registering, please select all the sports your student intends to participate in.
The year is almost over and it is nearly time to collect all loaned technology (including district laptops, iPads, and hotspots). After a year of hard work, we need to refresh the devices by performing maintenance and updates so they are ready for use this coming fall. To make sure this happens, please return all technology no later than Friday, June 18th.
Does your student plan to attend summer school? We still need your currently issued technology returned! Summer school teachers will make sure students have access to all necessary tools this summer, including technology if needed. Is your student’s loaned device a little worse for wear? Maybe it’s missing a keyboard key or has a cracked screen? We still need damaged devices returned so we can perform repairs.
In recognition of varying work schedules and hours of availability, we have a few options for technology returns. First, students may return their devices to their school. Homeroom teachers will be collecting borrowed technology the last week of school, June 14th - 18th.
You are also welcome to return devices directly to the AHS IVC Center. See below for details.
AHS IVC Center Technology Return Schedule
Early-bird Dropoff available the week of June 1, for those students not currently using their devices:
Wednesday & Thursday, 6/2-6/3 : 8:00AM – 3:30PM
Week of June 7:
Monday – Friday 8:00AM – 3:30PM
Week of June 14 (with expanded times including one evening):
Monday, 6/14: 8:00AM – 4:30PM
Tuesday, 6/15: 8:00AM – 4:30PM
Wednesday, 6/16: 8:00AM – 4:30PM
Thursday, 6/17: 12:00 – 7:00PM
Friday, 6/18: 8:00AM – 4:30PM
If you have questions or are unable to return the technology at any of the listed times, email email@example.com or call 541-201-2600 to make other arrangements.
Thanks in advance and CONGRATULATIONS on making it through to the end of the school year!
Ashland School District IT Department
AHS Graduation Live Stream
Tonight, Friday, June 11th at 5:30pm & 7:30pm.
Each ceremony will be an hour long.
You will be prompted to sign up for an account. Enter your name, email address and password. Do NOT pay for a subscription. Sign out and sign back into your account and it should work for free.
If you are not automatically taken to AHS Graduation on the NFHS Network page, search Ashland High School to be taken to our event.
Free Summer Lunch for Kids and Teens
ASHLAND SCHOOL DISTRICT SUMMER MEALS
July 12th - August 20th
Free to all 1- 18 yrs. old
Meals will be available at the Ashland High school snack bar window and Garfield park from 11 am to 1pm daily.
Meals will be served for summer school daily.
Please email Nutrition Services for home delivery options or call 541-482-2811 x 1116
NO meals will be served from June 18th thru July 12th.
The Crest at Willow-Witt Ranch
June 21st-August 23rd
Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 3:30pm
After-care from 3:30-5:30pm offered for no additional charge
Groups by Ages:
Turtles: ages 6, 7, and 8
Owls: ages 9-12
$320 per camper (Scholarships are available.)
"In The Wild" Student Video Contest
June 1 - September 1, 2021
Northwest Nature Shop's student video contest to inspire kids to to go outside and have adventures is a chance for a student videographer to win $500! Create a maximum five minute video of you or your friends experiencing and connecting with nature. Children who play outdoors and experience nature are stronger, happier and more independent. Nature should be a part of all kids' childhood. Les Stroud, Survivorman, filmmaker, Ashland resident and author of the new book, Wild Outside: Around the world with Survivorman will be on the panel of judges and present the winners at an outdoor movie viewing and awards presentation.
- Who: Students (up to age 18)
- What: Create a maximum five minute video showing themselves or other kids experiencing and connecting with nature.
- How: Upload your video to share your experience in nature and inspire kids to go outside and have adventures.
- When: Entries can be submitted to Northwest Nature Shop between June 1, 2021 to September 1, 2021.
- Why: Inspire kids to spend time outside, have adventures and tell your story.
Points will be awarded in four categories:
- Originality— How well does your video stand out among the entries?
- Engagement—Does the video generate excitement about the outdoors?
- Message—Does the video convey the experience of being outdoors in nature?
- Resonance—Does the video offer a “take away” for the audience?
The school district does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability in matters affecting employment or in providing access to programs and services and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following person has been designated at our school to handle inquiries and complaints regarding nondiscrimination policies and to coordinate compliance efforts:
Name: Steve Retzlaff Title: Principal
Address: 100 Walker Ave
Telephone: 541-482-1611 ext. 3109
Inquiries or complaints may also be directed to the Student Services Office at 885 Siskiyou Blvd, Ashland Oregon (phone: 541-482-2811)
Complaints may also be directed to: Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue S.W., Washington D.C. 20202, or by calling (800) 421-3481 or (877) 521-2172 (TTY).