The Superstar Special
Newsletter for the C.L. Smith Elementary Superstars
Mr Aguirre helps his third graders understand geometry.
Sixth graders have new furniture! Check it out at Open House on May 19!
Kindergartners are also learning about geometry.
From the Principal:
May brings a lot of finishing up the current year and preparing for the exciting new year ahead.
Here are some Key events Happening at Smith this month:
- Statewide testing is happening in grades 3-6 this month . Check with your child's teach for specific test dates/times. You can help ease test anxiety by sending your student to school each day well rested and on time.
- Our Second graders have been rehearsing hard and will be performing the lovely Rainbow Fish musical on May 12.
- Our fabulous PTA will be hosting a Book Fair the week of Open House (May 16-20) You can get some great deals on summer reading books for the kids while supporting our school classroom libraries by purchasing books at the fair!
- Open House is Thursday May 19 5:45-7:00. Mark your calendar and come celebrate the successes of the current year while also visiting next year's grade level classrooms.
- On May 25-26, new TK and Kindergarten students will be visiting campus for our TK/Kindergarten Round Up.
- We also have our Million Word Reader Celebration for 4th-6th grade on May 26
- And on May 27 our Smith Band will be entertaining us.
I hope you mark your calendar for all these amazing events. Looking forward to seeing you at Open House on the 19th!
Bits and Pieces
Noon Supers and Crossing Guards for 2016-2017 school year
If you are looking for a part-time job that will align with your child's school calendar, or if you know a community member looking for part time work consider applying to be a Noon Super or Before/After school Crossing Guard for the coming school year. Check in with the office if you are interested.
School Site Council
Our final School site Council meeting for the year if Tuesday May 3, 2016 in room 23. Please join us!
Student Intent to Return for 2016-2017
If you have not already done so, please return (or complete the Google form survey) for your student attendance plans for the 2016-17 school year. this helps us ensure we have the correct staffing in place.
Hello CL Smith Families!
We are in the home stretch! The end of the school year will be here before we know it! The month of May will fly by!
We would like to take the opportunity to THANK all of YOU who joined us at the Auction this past Saturday, April 30th! Thanks to all of your generosity we were able to raise enough funds to keep our programs going for next school year! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Many of you donated time, items and cash to our program and we appreciate it greatly!! Thank you for caring about your children’s school lives!
If you were not able to join us at the event, part of the evening’s festivities include something we call Event Round Up. These are teacher outings that some of our staff have agreed to donate their time to host. If you would like to sign up for any of these events, there are still spaces available! They will be posted in the Office and are on a first come, first served basis. Please note: SPACES ARE LIMITED and VARY BY PRICE! Please stop by the office and take a look to see if you would like to sign your child up for anything!
As a bit of PTA business, I would like to present the Nominees for the C.L. Smith Elementary PTA Board for the 2016-2017 school year. The election will be held at the next PTA Meeting, on June 7th. Additional nominations can be made at the election meeting in June.
I want to thank the below nominees for their dedication to all of our children and for continuing the great work that our PTA does!
And the nominees are….
2016-2017 C.L. Smith Elementary PTA Board Nominations
President Heather Diesta
Executive Vice President Shelly Silva
Recording Secretary Cari Shaw
Treasurer Lourinda Brouwer
Financial Secretary Hallie Fraysier
Auditor Clover Robinson
Historian Jennifer Sawyer
Prepared by the Nominating Committee: Hallie Fraysier, and Jennifer Sawyer
In addition to all the excitement that the end of the year brings, we have some fun stuff coming up!
MAY 2-6: Teacher Appreciation Week
TUESDAY, MAY 3: PTA Meeting, 6pm in the Staff Lounge
THURSDAY, MAY 12: Rainbow Fish Play, 2nd Grades
FRIDAY-SATURDAY MAY 13-14: Goodwill Fundraiser! Bring all your unwanted items to be donated to Goodwill, PTA will receive money for each trailer we fill!
MAY 16-20: BOOK FAIR
MAY 24: 6th Grade Play
MAY 25-26: Kinder and TK Roundup
Thank you all for your continual support of PTA and our programs!
CL Smith PTA, President
Upcoming Dates to Remember:
- May 3 SSC 3:00 pm; PTA meeting 6:00
- May 6 6th grade to visit LAMS; 2:00 Schoolwide Friday Fun
- May 12 2nd Grade Rainbow Fish Performance
- May 16-20 Book Fair in Science Lab
- May 18 All Schools Band Concert 7:00 pm
- May 19 Open House 5:45-7:00 pm
- May 20 5th/6th grade Tiger Olympics
- May 23 Superstar Assembly 10:40 am
- May 25-26 Kinder/TK Round-Up
- May 26 Million Word Reader Celebration 12:05 pm
- May 27 Smith Band Assembly 1:10 pm
- May 30 Memorial Day NO SCHOOL
- June 2 6th Grade Final Superstar Event 6:00 pm
- June 6 End of Year superstar assembly 10:40 am
- June 7 Faculty vs. 6th grade Kickball game
- June 9 Superstar Olympics 10:40 am
- june 9 Last day of School