Principal's Weekend Update
April 6th, Saint Crescentia Hoess
In this issue...
- Are you in touch?
- Volunteer Appreciation
- Grand Olde Saint Mark's Days
- Art Show with Mrs. Moe!
- 7th Grader's Water for Life Project
- Lunch Volunteers Needed
- STEM Innovation Grant
- 2018/19 Registration Update
- Tax Report for Tuition Paid
- Grands' Day
- Friendly reminder to please be extra cautious driving during morning drop off and afternoon pick up. This includes slowing down near the school, coming to complete stops, staying off of phones, and keeping a careful eye out for the patrols. Thank you!
- Congratulations to 4 of our Saint Mark's alumni for achieving the honor of "Distinguished Scholar" of DeLaSalle's 2018 graduating class. Way to make our Marker Family proud!
- Congratulations to our ten students who qualified to participate in our first annual religion bee. Good luck to Maia Mischke, Freddy Zeckser, and Henry Kaardal, who have advanced to the archdiocesan religion bee on April 19!
Are you in touch?
Grand Olde Saint Mark's Days
Grand Olde Saint Mark's Days is coming up on May 18th and 19th, and the festival committee is kicking off its appeal for volunteers.
New this year! Teams and groups of people can sign up together to volunteer for an area/time at the festival. This is a great way to build relationships with other members of the school community, so take advantage of this opportunity to get a volunteer spot with other parents/guardians in your child's grade level.
The link to sign up is below. You will need to sign up individually but please write the group you are representing in the comments section of the sign up to alert others which group you are a part of (e.g. “first grade parents”).
The sign-up link will go out to a larger audience after April 14, so talk with other parents and grab a spot now!
Art Show with Mrs. Moe!
Calling all parents! With the Pre K-8th grade art show quickly approaching, we need your wonderful help to prepare!
I'm looking for volunteers to mat and label artwork the weeks leading up to the show at the following times:
Friday 4/20, 2:30 - 3:30
Wednesday 4/25, 1:45 - 3:30
Thursday 4/26, 1:45 - 3:30
Friday 4/27, 2:30 - 3:30
Wednesday 5/2, 1:45 - 3:30
Thursday 5/3, 1:45-3:30
I would also love help hanging the art show before it starts on Friday, May 4th. Set up time will be 9-11:00 and 12:00 - 1:45. The show begins at 2:00.
Please email me at email@example.com if there's any time you could help out.
7th Graders' Water for Life Project
Lunch Volunteers Needed
2018 STEM Innovation Grant
Two years ago, St. Mark’s School received an MISF grant which allowed 7th grade students to learn the basics of coding through the Arduino platform. Part of this grant allowed students to not only learn about circuits, programming and building a prosthetic arm prototype, but also allowed seventh graders to teach the fifth grade class about the ‘Engineering Design Process’ as well as the basics behind coding an Arduino breadboard to light an LED light.
A MakerSpace was developed last summer and the intention of this grant has been used to fill the space with supplies for students to explore using the Engineering Design Process.
Students will learn how the Engineering Design Process works. Students will be designing, creating, building, redesigning and testing a variety of solutions to problems. Students will be assessed using a rubric developed for each grade level. Teachers will also uses these rubrics to tailor their teaching methods based on students needs. Saint Mark’s School plans to have a “MakerFaire” in the Spring of 2019, where students in each grade - K- 8th will get to showcase a project of choice that they have made. Students will have to articulate their project to other members of the school community.
Another goal of this project is to connect students to real-world Scientists and people in the working field of STEM, so students can see how their skills can be applied in a job setting. Every month, we will invite a speaker to come and talk to the classes. We already have 10 speakers lined up for next year from engineers to university professors and scientists!
We are blessed to receive the STEM grant so we can continue the efforts of this wonderful project for our students!
2018/19 Registration Update
- Preschool: Registration is now open for our Summer Preschool program! See the sign up form below to register for our preschool summer options. Our program will run similar to the school year, but with more time for sprinklers, walking field trips, and playground fun!
- School age summer program: If your child in grade K-5 is looking for summer fun and learning, now's the time to register for summer camp at Saint Mark's School! See below to learn more about our Sports, Nature and Art camps as well as to sign up. If you have any questions regarding the camp, please email Mrs. Overhaug at Emily.firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to an adventurous summer with you!
- Fall registration update: There are multiple steps to registering for the fall, all of which are done through your TADS account. Step 1 'application' is for preschoolers only. If you haven't applied yet, please use the TADS link below. Step 2 for all families - log into your TADS account and go to the ‘enrollment’ tab to enter/update contact details, emergency contacts, etc. Step 3 for all families - within a few days of completing your enrollment, you will receive your tuition agreement email. Use the link in the email to connect to your TADS account and complete your agreement in one session. If you have questions about using TADS, please call the TADS support line at 612-548-3320. If you have questions about your enrollment status, please email email@example.com or call Brigid at 651-644-3380.
- Financial Aid update - Remember, if you have received an aid award for 2018-19 and wish to keep it, be sure to sign your tuition agreement by April 15th. Awards may be redistributed to other families in need if agreements are not signed by April 15th.
Tax Report for Tuition Paid
Looking for Saint Mark’s federal tax ID? It’s in TADS - From your TADS account home page, click the tab labeled 'billing'. Then look in the upper left corner for the Household Paid Tuition Tax report. Click that and indicate the year for which you want info (2017). You should see an itemized list of payments and the tax ID there as well.
News and Upcoming Events
- Open Gym Fridays, 4:30-6
- CCW Spring Luncheon, April 7
- Parent Visit Day, April 19
- Confirmation, April 24
- All School Mass, April 25
- Rummage Sale, April 28-30
- Grands' Day, May 4
- Grand Olde Saint Mark's Days, May 18-19
- Saint Mark's Golf Day, Jun 24
Check out this week's episode of the Roar! Follow the same link to subscribe and get updates from The Roar straight to your phone!