Thornhill Elementary PFC Newsletter
Volume 27, Issue 17, December 10, 2019
From the principal
Dear Thunderbird Families,
I hope you are all ready for the winter holidays because they're almost here! In this season of gratitude, I want to express how grateful I am to our amazing staff that makes Thornhill such a special place. I hope you can take some time to appreciate our staff as they have been working so hard! I also want to thank all of you that have contributed to Thornhill. Your donations of money and time have been incredibly important to making extra programs available to our students, such as music, library, art, PE, classroom aides, and more.
Winter Concerts are next week!
Tuesday December 17 (grades 3-5) 9:15am
Wednesday December 18 (grades TK-2) 9:15am
TK/K Coffee with the Principal and the PFC will be on Thursday December 19 8:20-9:00am in the TK Yard (TK and K teachers will be there).
See you next week!
Dine Out TODAY: Zachary’s Pizza
Deep Dish Deliciousness!
Dine in or take out from Zachary's Pizza on College Ave TODAY, Tuesday, December 10 from 11am-10pm and 15% comes back to Thornhill. Show this flyer (PDF on your phone is fine, or bring a printout) at the register. (Info and flyer attached to Konstella event here.)
When you arrive (to dine in or take out - order ahead works too!), please tell your server you are there for Thornhill.
Eat. Drink. And Raise Money.
No-pressure Auction info playdate this Saturday
Come join us for coffee on the Thornhill playground this Saturday, December 14 from 10am-12pm. Auction volunteers will provide coffee and information on just what this Thornhill tradition is, how it works, and how everyone can participate in their own way. The kids can run around and the adults can relax. Totally no pressure. Just information and coffee. Rain will cancel. (Auction date is Saturday, March 14, 2020 starting at 6pm!)
Winter Performances - December 17 & 18
Don't miss the Thornhill winter performances in the multi-purpose room!
Tuesday, December 17 at 9:15am: 3rd-5th Grades (Konstella event)
Wednesday, December 18 at 9:15am: TK-2nd Grades (Konstella event)
Be aware that parking will be tight so please allow ample time. Parking is not allowed in the loading zone and red zones at ANY time. Parking enforcement doesn't know (or care!) when our various celebrations are, so please read all parking signs very carefully. Hefty parking tickets unfortunately have been given in the past.
Parents are encouraged to stay for the entire performance! Show the love for the students performing last. :)
Adventure Time holiday gifts
Hello Adventure Time families,
It's that time of the year, when we are pooling funds so that we can provide our AT teachers with gift cards for the holidays. We've decided to include Pam's husband Kevin as a recipient so that he & Fiona know that they are in our hearts and thoughts. Please feel free to donate, the pool will be open through Tuesday, December 17. https://paypal.me/pools/c/8kFqJpyJvh
Additionally, I will compile all of the messages that parents write in the PayPal contribution onto a page and give that to each teacher, along with the gift card, and will separate any messages for Kevin & Fiona. Please express your love and appreciation there!
TK/K Coffee & Pastries with the Principal & PFC
Please join us for coffee and pastries on the morning of Thursday, December 19 in the TK yard. Principal Daubenspeck, members of the PFC, and the TK & Kindergarten teachers will be there with words of wisdom. We'll also have flyers with ways to become involved, ideas for kid crafts to get through those long vacation days and most importantly, other parents feeling very much like you - connect with each other in this easy way!
Whether this is your first or fourth child in TK/K, please join us to get and give support - one of the reasons you joined Thornhill Elementary. We're all in this together!
Save the date for more wonderful winter events (after the new year, don’t worry!)
The annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratorical Festival and Black History Celebration will be held on Tuesday, January 28 beginning at 8:45am. This is one of the most special and inspiring events of the whole year. Students will perform poetry, songs, and speeches. Join us!
- Engineering Night is Wednesday, February 26 from 5:30-7:00pm. All family members are welcome to try out different fun engineering stations set up in the multipurpose room. Great for all ages!
Spring Enrichment Classes
The spring enrichment class schedule isn’t available yet and we’ll send a Konstella blast and post in this newsletter when it’s available for viewing on our Homeroom platform. Information will always be posted on our website.
Registration: Wednesday, January 8 through Wednesday, January 15 (times TBA)First day of Enrichment Classes: Tuesday, January 21
Sports Basement Holiday Shopping Event
Special Discount for Thornhill families! Shop December 8-13 at ALL Sports Basement stores and online, and Basementeers (aka members) receive 20% off all purchases (11% off for non-members). What makes this deal even sweeter? 10% of Sports Basement's annual profits back to various charities and schools, including Thornhill Elementary. Share the code/flyer with friends and family.
Shopping in store? Bring this flyer.
Shopping online? Use code 2050009477820 at checkout to receive the discount.
If you’re not a Basementeer yet, this is a great time to sign up. Just go to Sports Basement, select Thornhill Elementary as your charity of choice, and complete your purchase. Then you can take full advantage of the big discount at the shopping party and get a discount all year long.
Ordering holiday cards and gifts?
The website always has the latest calendar information, and here's what's coming up:
- Sunday, December 8 - Friday, December 13: Sports Basement Holiday Shopping Event (all locations)
- Tuesday, December 10: Dine Out: Zachary's Pizza (11am-10pm, 5801 College Avenue, Oakland)
- Saturday, December 14: No-pressure Auction Info Playdate (10am-12pm, Thornhill playground)
- Tuesday, December 17: Winter Music Performance, Grades 3-5 (9:15am, MPR)
- Wednesday, December 18: Winter Music Performance, Grades TK-2 (9:15am, MPR)
- Wednesday, December 18: Enrichment Performances - Jazz Band (3:30-3:45pm), Martial Arts (3:50-4:05pm), African Dance and Drumming (4:10-4:55pm) (all in MPR)
- Thursday, December 19: TK/K Coffee with the Principal & PFC (8:20am, TK Yard)
- Friday, December 20: Last Day of Fall PFC Enrichment Classes
- Monday, December 23 - Friday, January 3: NO SCHOOL (Winter Break)
- Wednesday, January 8 - Wednesday, January 15: Spring Enrichment Classes Registration online
- Thursday, January 9: Dine Out at Round Table Pizza (11:30am-9:30pm)
- Friday, January 10: Minimum Day to Support Science - no enrichment classes! (TK/K 1:10pm | Grades 1-5 1:25pm)
- Monday, January 13: PFC meeting (6-7pm library) + Taps and Takeout mixer (7-9pm)
- Monday, January 13: Prospective Families Information Night (6-7pm, MPR)
- Monday, January 20: NO SCHOOL (Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
- Tuesday, January 21: First day of Spring Enrichment Classes
- Tuesday, January 28: Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratorical Festival and Black History Celebration (8:45am, MPR)
- Friday, January 31: NO SCHOOL (Professional Development Day)
- Wednesday, February 26: Engineering Night (5:30-7pm, MPR)
- Saturday, March 14: Thornhill Auction (Fratellanza Club)
Be sure also to subscribe to the Thornhill Google Calendar here, and download the OUSD District calendar here.
About the Thornhill Newsletter
The Thornhill Parent-Faculty Club (PFC) eNews team publishes this weekly newsletter each Tuesday in the school year to communicate school, PFC and OUSD news, events and information.
Email submissions to our Newsletter Chair, Evie Nagy, at email@example.com by 8 p.m. Thursday for approval—nothing sent after this will be included in the following week’s newsletter unless there are extremely compelling extenuating circumstances. It’s fine to include text in the body of the email with links and no formatting, and attach photos preferably as 150 x 150, 72 dpi JPG or GIFs only (not embedded in email or Word file). Submissions may be edited for spelling, grammar, brevity and clarity. Advertising and items not related to Thornhill are not accepted, as we need to keep the newsletter focused on need-to-know info for the community.
THANK YOU to everyone who submits articles and to PFC Board Members, Teachers, VP of Communications Erin Proudfoot, PFC President Rex Crum, and Principal Steve Daubenspeck. Member of Oakland Unified School District (OUSD).