NUAMES NORTH Counseling Newsletter
IN THIS ISSUE:
- Early College Seniors - Graduation Sign Off
- Sophomore College and Career Readiness (CCR) Meetings
- Spread Kindness
- Boys State / Girls State information
- Junior ACT
- Upcoming Events
- Junior Higher Education Day
- National School Counselor Week / Overview of School Counseling
- Seminar Reminders
- Credit Recovery & Citizenship Make up
- Student and Parent Resources
EARLY COLLEGE SENIORS GRADUATION SIGN OFF
- If you finished/plan to finish your Associate Degree or Certificate of Completion in Fall 2022 or Spring 2023, please contact Noah Erb, your Early college advisor @ email@example.com and schedule a Graduation Sign-off Appointment as soon as possible.
- During the appointment you will apply for graduation, learn about commencement and your convocation, and complete the graduation checklist.
- Weber State Advisors look forward to hearing from you!
SOPHOMORE COLLEGE & CAREER READINESS (CCR) MEETINGS
- All 10th graders will be meeting with their assigned counselor
- CCR meetings happen once per year and are required
- Parents/Guardians are invited to attend
- Make sure to follow instructions sent via email to schedule an appointment
- If you don't pick your time, your Counselor will assign a time
- Meeting will cover your credits toward graduation, what classes you should take next year, goals for your future after high school, and much more!
- All 10th graders and parents received an email with instructions on how to sign up for CCR meeting with School Counselor. Please email your School Counselor if you have questions!
- STUDENTS WITH LAST NAMES A-L email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- STUDENTS WITH LAST NAMES M-Z email: email@example.com
SPREAD KINDNESS WHEREVER YOU GO!
NUAMES students are some of the MOST KIND students we've met in our careers! We LOVE how our students care for each other and look out for others!
Here are some easy ways to show kindness to others:
- Offer to help someone who looks like they need help
- Compliment someone
- Write someone a kind note or text
- Invite someone to join you at lunch
- Forgive someone when they made a mistake
- Hold the door for someone or let them go ahead of you
- Say thanks when someone holds the door for you
- Choose someone new when doing partner work in class
- Clean up after yourself
- Give a friend a hug
- Smile and say hello
GIRLS STATE & BOYS STATE INFORMATION!
Boys/Girls State is a summer camp hosted by Weber State and American Legion on the Weber State Ogden Campus. It is an opportunity to build relationships, increase your knowledge about the US Government, build new skills, and earn College Credit and High School US Government credit!
The process to register is different for Boys/Girls state so please follow the appropriate instructions below.
GIRLS' STATE REGISTRATION INFORMATION
INTEREST FORM AND INTERVIEW SIGN UP - DUE MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20TH!
GIRLS STATE SUMMER CAMP - JUNE 5-10, 2023
GIRLS' STATE INTERVIEW SIGN-UP REQUIREMENTS!
Student must submit their INTEREST FORM to the NUAMES North counseling office by MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20TH to be eligible to schedule an interview appointment with American Legion.
Sign up in the Counseling office for an interview time slot
**Interviews are first come, first serve.
GIRLS STATE INTERVIEWS WILL BE ON FRIDAY, MARCH 3, 2023 @ Noorda bldg/NUAMES administration offices and will be approximately 15 minutes.
2023 GIRLS STATE INTEREST FORM **Fill out this form and submit it to the counseling office to schedule an interview time**
2023 GIRLS STATE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS? - Learn more about Girls State
2023 GIRLS STATE INTERVIEWING TIPS – Make sure you know who the Governor of Utah is! (Spencer Cox)
For more information visit: weber.edu/girlsstate
BOYS' STATE REGISTRATION INFORMATION
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20TH!
BOYS STATE SUMMER CAMP - JUNE 11 - 16, 2023
BOYS STATE INTERVIEWS: FRIDAY, MARCH 10TH
**Junior Boys who are interested in attending Boys State must submit their completed application to the main office or counseling office by MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20TH to be eligible to schedule an interview appointment for FRIDAY, MARCH 10TH with American Legion** Interviews will be approximately 15 minutes and will take place in the NUAMES Administration offices.
INSTRUCTIONS TO REGISTER FOR BOYS STATE:
Watch the Video to learn more about Boys State
Go to the website HERE —> weber.edu/boysstate
Click on “Register” in the Right corner of the screen
Click on “Create an Account”
**When Registering, you must Set up a NEW ACCOUNT, DO NOT use Weber State User name and Password, as it will give you an error. Please use a personal email other than your Weber State email to set up the NEW Account.**
Complete the Application/including attaching the required supporting documents
Bring a Completed Application to your NUAMES Counselor to complete counselor endorsement.
Sign up in the Counseling office for an interview time slot **Interviews are first come, first serve.
If you are having issues registering, please contact Bob Yeaman @ 801.725.9733 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information visit: weber.edu/boysstate
How Do I Register for the Mar 9th ACT?
- NUAMES will register all students
- Counselors will be visiting English 11 classes in Feb to assist students with pre-registration fields in their ACT.org account
- If a student already has registered for another ACT date on their own, make sure to bring your user name and password when Counselors visit English classes. That way, we can connect your accounts together!
How Can I Practice for the ACT?
- Attend the NUAMES ACT Prep Week after school in Feb (see below)
- Use the Shmoop website (see flyer below)
- Refer to ACT.org for practice resources
- Use 4Tests.com for practice exams
ACT PREP WEEK AT NUAMES
- NUAMES is offering ACT Boot camp for 10th & 11th graders who would like extra preparation for upcoming ACT tests!
- Seating is limited and will be filled on a first come, first serve basis.
- The sessions are for NUAMES students only
- Session #1: Feb 27 - 28th English and Reading @ 3:15-5:15pm in M16-101
- Session #2: March 1 - 2nd Math and Science @ 3:15-5:15pm in Noorda #225
- To sign up for ACT Booth Camp, please fill out a registration form by visiting: https://forms.gle/EAgevjPxvuRhc6DZ6
SHMOOP - FREE ACT PREP WEBSITE
INFO FOR 10th & 12th GRADERS ON ACT DAY
- Feb & Mar - All 10th Graders Meet with Counselor for CCR Meetings
- Feb 1 - Opportunity Scholarship Application DUE!
- Feb 2 - Capstone Night (all students invited to attend)
- Feb 6 - Utah Higher Education Day for Juniors
- Feb 10 - Last Day to Add/Drop CE Classes
- Feb 15 - Midterm
- Feb 16 - Social Emotional Learning Seminar for all grades (Optional)
- Feb 20 - President's Day (NO SCHOOL)
- Feb 21-22 Counselors in 11th Grade English Classes for ACT Pre-Registration
- Feb 22 Early College Admissions Help Night for NUAMES North 3:15-5:15pm Noorda 225
- Feb 23 - Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Feb 27 - ACT PREP WEEK FOR JUNIORS (see above to register)
- Feb 28 - SheTech Explorer Day
- Mar 3 - Capstone Mentoring Day (All Students Required to Attend)
- Mar 3 - Girls State Interviews
- Mar 9 - Juniors ACT Test
- Mar 10 - Boys State Interviews
UTAH HIGHER ED DAY FOR JUNIORS
February 6th 11:30 AM-2:30 PM
- Event is for JUNIORS ONLY
- NUAMES North Juniors will be attending this event at the NUAMES Davis Campus
- Address: 2750 University Park Blvd, Layton, UT 84041
- Colleges travel to ALL HIGH SCHOOLS in Utah
- Students will choose to go to THREE college breakout sessions after Opening Ceremony
- Must use Strive Scan to sign into each session for credit (see QR below if you haven't signed up yet)
- Event is your MANDATORY SEMINAR assignment for Semester 2
- Students who signed up to ride the bus: Be at the North Campus W5 parking lot (East of the Portables) @ 11:00am sharp to sign in. Bus will leave @ 11:15am SHARP!
- Students who are providing their own transportation: Please arrive no later than 11:45am at the NUAMES Davis Campus. See map for address and parking instructions at the Davis Campus HERE
NATIONAL SCHOOL COUNSELING WEEK FEB 6-10, 2023
What Do NUAMES School Counselors Do?
- Remember that Seminars are a GRADUATION REQUIREMENT at NUAMES
- Seminars allow Counselors to share College and Career Information with you
- ALL NUAMES STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE THREE SEMINAR ASSIGNMENTS PER SEMESTER
- Completing required Seminars = 0.25 elective credit
- Not doing Seminars will earn U citizenship grade
EARLY COLLEGE ADMISSIONS HELP NIGHT FOR NUAMES NORTH
Did you attend an Early College Information Session, but you aren't sure what the next steps are you need to finish to start Early College? Come to our Help Night on February 22nd @ 3:15-5:15pm
CREDIT & CITIZENSHIP RECOVERY
- Remember that F's and U's must be cleared for graduation
- If you receive an F in a class required for graduation, you must make it up through CREDIT RECOVERY
- Credit Recovery = condensed version of the term you failed that earns you the high school credit back
- If you receive a U, you must complete 4 hours of Community Service and pay $10 fee per U to clear them
- All Credit Recovery and Citizenship Recovery MUST be done by May 1 of your SENIOR YEAR!
Credit or Citizenship Recovery To Do?
See your School Counselor for help getting this taken care of!
STUDENT & PARENT RESOURCES
CE TUTORING THROUGH WEBER STATE!
Hey CE Students!! Great News! NUAMES CE students are now eligible to receive free tutoring from WSU Tutoring Services. Another exciting resource to help support our amazing students in their learning and early college experience! Please visit https://www.weber.edu/tutoring for more info!