Battle of the Philipines 1941-1942
About the battle:
- Fought on December 8, 1941 - May 6, 1942. (In the Philippine islands).
- One of the worst defeats in history in the United States.
- Within 10 hours after the attack of Pearl Harbor the Philippines were attacked.
- At least 84,000 American troops were captured.
- American and Philippines combined had 16,000 casualties.
- Half of the 20,000 troops that were captured died in captivity before the war ended.
- Douglas MacArthur a United States commander left his troops before they had to surrender. He still ordered them to fight til the end.
- There was no air or naval support.
- Japanese General Masaharu Homma sent surviving American and Philippine troops on death march to camp. Many of the troops were murdered or died due to ill reasons