The Bulldog Buzz!
Week of September 28, 2015
What can we learn by sharing stories from our lives & the lives of others?
Tuesday, Sep. 29th, 6-8:30pm
- 6:00-6:30 - BSI Meeting
- 6:30-7:00 - General Session (Gym)
- 7:00-7:30 - Classroom Session 1
- 7:30-8:00 - Classroom Session 2
Comprehension Through Conversation PLC
Wednesday, Sep. 30th, 3-4pm
- Please be prepared to discuss Chapters 1-3. Looking forward to our dialog!
The Curriculum Corner: Comprehension Through Conversation, Part 2
According to Nichols, language development, purposeful talk and literacy learning are “beautifully intertwined.” She also reminds us that all students must be provided the opportunity to participate in purposeful talk – especially in diverse settings such as Rodgers. Some important things to consider as we develop “an environment that enables all children to grow as thinkers, language users and participants in purposeful talk” include student groupings, the use of charts and picture books, multiple exposures to a specific text, and vocabulary routines. At the heart purposeful talk and literacy learning is Cambourne’s Conditions for Learning, which contains 8 conditions for the optimal social, emotional and language rich environment. To learn more about Cambourne’s Conditions for Learning and how to create the optimal learning environment for purposeful talk, check out Chapter 2 of Comprehension through Conversation!
News & Notes
- The Bullock & Bowe PTO Committees are now combined...we have a fantastic group of parents & are off to a great start! "Thank You" to Patti for volunteering as our teacher representative!
Bulletin Board Update #1 from Karen Peale: The butterfly board has generated a lot of interest which I’m hoping will continue. This is an interactive board in which I would like you to share what you are currently reading on the board using a Post- It. I have a LOT of post its, so if you need me to share some, just drop me an email. Please encourage our students to do this also!
Bulletin Board Update #2 from Karen Peale: The second interactive board will feature our school garden. Currently the theme is “What do plants need to grow”. I will be setting up some kind of process in which students can answer questions based upon information on the board and we will have random drawings for prizes. I will leave this board up through October. Please encourage our students to look at the board while waiting to enter the Technology classroom.
You're the Best...Quotes from the Staff!
- Donna, thank you for being my anchor in the storm.
- Ronnie (CST secretary), Cindy and Deneen you are terrific!
- Bob S., you’re the best! Thanks for helping me through your dinner hour to put up our school-wide Essential Question banner!!! You rock! I hope your dinner wasn’t too cold!
- Aileen, thanks for sending students who look like they were having trouble seeing to the nurse already this year. One student even got glasses already!
- Alex H.- Keep up the good work. You are doing a great job!
- A very BIG thank you to Bernadette for the AWESOME music mural!! It looks amazing and is welcoming to the students and teachers! I LOVE IT!!!!
- 10/08 - Faculty Meeting (2:45 PM)
- 10/14 - Bulldog Buddies Meeting (2:45 PM)
- 10/15 - CAST Meetings
- 10/15 - Fall Harvest Night (6:00 PM)
- 10/21 - Administrative Learning Walk
- 10/22 - PTO Meeting (6:30 PM, Bowe School)
- 10/21 - Leadership Team Meetings (2:45)
- 10/29 - Comprehension Through Conversation PLC (3:00 PM)