Activities and Events at Sunset HS
• Volunteer of the Month - We have had so much great help this past month. We appreciate our Sunset community so much as you answer the call to help our students and staff when needed. We had 77 volunteers donate over 450 hours of their time this month. That's an average of almost 6 hours per volunteer. Thank you!!!! Congratulations to our Volunteer of the Month Karen Zupancic with an awesome 29 hours of volunteering during the month of January! There's a gift card waiting for you as a thank you for your time.
• Volunteer Opportunity: We are looking for a concessions buyer. Grab a friend and shop together. This is a behind the scenes volunteer job that can be done on your own schedule. It takes organization and time to shop for all things concessions. The concession stands bring in a majority of the money PTO raises for all students. It is a service to the community to offer snacks at all sporting events. It takes a team to make it run smoothly and we are looking to add to our team. You will be guided and helped in learning the process. This is a fun position but does require quite a bit of time, as there are always events happening at the school. Please contact Sarah Pearce if interested or have questions. Turtle.email@example.com or 760-420-5948
WE Celebrate National School Counseling Week 2020!
National School Counseling Week 2020 - “School Counselors: Helping Build Better Humans,” will be celebrated from Feb. 3-7, 2020, to focus public attention on the unique contribution of school counselors within U.S. school systems. National School Counseling Week, sponsored by American School Counselor Association (ASCA), highlights the tremendous impact school counselors can have in helping students achieve school success and plan for a career.
Please take a moment to thank your school counselor.
You’re invited to:
· PTO Meeting – 2/10, 7:00 p.m. Join us to hear about what is going on at Sunset with updates from PTO committees and Principal Huelskamp. Learn more about Sunset’s Parent Teacher Organization here: http://sunsetpto.com/.
·Teen Topics - 2/11, 7:30 a.m. Suicide and Depression
Join us in our community room for coffee and this unique opportunity as the Sunset Counseling Staff hosts Parker Sczepanik, BA YouthLine's Outreach Strategist, travels the state of Oregon proving community outreach and classroom education around youth mental health topics.
· Curriculum Night -- 2/20, 6:30-9:30 p.m. If your student will be at Sunset next year, join us at our annual Curriculum Night to learn what your student can expect during the 2020-2021 school year. This night is geared toward students who will be in grades 9 through 12 in the fall of 2020. More details will be sent home soon.
"Don't Freak Out" Please join us on March 19 at 7:00 p.m.
https://fundrazr.com/SHS_DontFreakOut_2020?ref=ab_78jmp3 It is a platform through the Beaverton Education Foundation, and all funds will stay with this event, and you will receive a receipt from them.
Help Sunset High School bring in speakers, David Kozlowski and Heidi Swapp, for an evening community event to learn how to partner with your children, help them combat anxiety and depression, and build high-quality relationships for life.
This event is free, but you will need a ticket to attend. Sunset families may pick up tickets in the main office beginning February 10. Our office hours are 7:00a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
During the week of February 17, we will open up tickets to Westview HS and other Beaverton School District locations. We believe this will be a well-attended event. Doors will open at 6:00 and our speaker will begin at 7:00 p.m.
For All Apollos:
· Bali Hai Winter Formal Dance – 2/8. Sunset’s winter formal, Bali Hai a "Secret Garden", will be on 2/8 from 7:30 to 10:00 p.m at the Oregon Zoo. Tickets can be purchased during both lunches and before school on both Thursday and Fridays, 2/6 and 2/7, in the ticket booth in 2-Hall (labeled 2-2). Tickets will this $30 this week, and will not be sold at the door of the dance. There is a limited number of tickets. It is first come first serve. Non-Sunset High School guests must have a completed/signed Guest Pass to attend the dance. SHS student can get a copy of the form at the main office, and is due back on Thursday, 2/6, at 2:30 p.m.
· Forecasting in February! Sunset’s counseling team encourages parents/guardians to start talking with their student about courses they might like to take next year and to save the date for Curriculum Night on 2/20. Curriculum Night is designed to provide forecasting information, high school graduation, and college/career planning information to all incoming 9th and current 9 -11th graders, so we hope to see you there! **Watch your mailbox and email for a letter about the evening and a copy of the agenda.
· The Counseling office is here to help:
· Any student who is in need of financial support to take the SAT or ACT should see their counselor for information about fee waiver support.
· Students in need of scholarship support for formal dances (Bali, Prom) are encouraged to talk to their counselor about scholarships.
· As winter continues, please know that there is community resource information available in the counseling office.
• Get into the Spirit with Sunset Gear - Sunset Merchandise is available to purchase every Thursday and Friday at both lunches at the Spirit Shack. They will also be for sale at Curriculum Night on February 20th. New designs and clothing options are now available! Come check them out.
· Double Your Impact – Match It! Remember to request company matching for both donations and SHS volunteer hours. Sunset PTO received over $8K in company matches last year – from companies such as Intel, Nike, and Columbia to name a few for employee volunteer hours. Thank you to everyone who requested matches as it really makes a difference to Sunset’s programs. Search for “Sunset High School PTO” to report volunteer hours on company giving portals or make a donation and/or match request on your company portal by searching for “Sunset High School PTO Apollo Giving Program”.
· Amazon Smile Fundraiser - Support Sunset when you shop at Amazon. Access Amazon.com through https://smile.amazon.com/, choose SHS as your charitable organization, and then when you purchase items, Amazon will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to Sunset High School PTO. Your Amazon shopping experience will be exactly the same and the SHS PTO will earn money to continue to help the school. Bookmark the link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/93-0868697 and support SHS every time you shop. Sunset PTO received over $400 in donations from Amazon last year through this program.
• Bethany Public House Fundraiser or The Sunset Grad Party - Wednesday, March 11th, 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Save the date!! See attached flyer for additional detail.
Art Awards Gold Key Exhibit Reception at Pacific Northwest College of Art
Thursday, Feb. 6th, 6pm
511 Northwest Broadway
Please join us in celebrating the news that our Sunset apollo artists have participated in the Scholastic Art Awards this year, taking home 222 awards. Beaverton School District took home a total of 383, which means Sunset received around 57% of the awards in the district. Sunset received not only the highest number of awards in the district, but also in the state.
You can view the Gold Key works at the Scholastic Art Awards Gold Key Exhibit Reception at Pacific Northwest College of Art on February 6th, 6:00-8:00pm.
Upcoming Events and Activities:
2/6 – Thursday
· Bali Hai tickets can be purchased before school or during lunches today
2/7 – Friday
· Bali Hai tickets can be purchased before school or during lunches today
· Men's basketball vs. Aloha HS – 7:00 p.m.
Cram the Stands
Boys basketball game, 7 pm
tee shirt and socks available for $20.
All money raised goes to Pediatric Cancer Research.
2/8 – Saturday
· ACT – 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
· Bali Hai Dance – 7:30 p.m., Oregon Zoo
2/10 -- Monday
· SHS Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) meeting – 7:00 p.m., Community Room
2/11 – Tuesday
· Teen Topics Parent Forum, Suicide and Depression – 7:30 a.m., Community Room
· Women’s basketball vs. Beaverton HS – 7:00 p.m.
2/13 – Thursday
· Middle School Boundary Advisory Committee Meeting – 6:30 p.m., Five Oaks Middle School
2/14 – Friday
· Men’s basketball vs. Jesuit HS – 7:00 p.m.
2/17 – Monday
· NO SCHOOL – President’s Day Holiday
2/18 – Tuesday
· NO SCHOOL – Staff Development Day
· Men’s basketball vs. Westview HS – 7:00 p.m.
2/20 – Thursday
· Curriculum Night – 6:30 p.m., Auditorium
2/25 – Tuesday
· ACT Testing Day
· Middle School Boundary Advisory Committee Meeting – 6:30 p.m., Whitford Middle School
· Women’s basketball vs. Southridge HS – 7:00 p.m.
2/26 – Wednesday
· Latino Parent Night – 6:30 p.m., Community Room
· Men’s basketball vs. Mountainside HS – 7:00 p.m.
· Sporting events listed here are varsity home meets/games. For a complete list of all school meets/games, including freshman/JV and “away” events, go to www.metroleague.org. Only sports sanctioned by the OSAA are included on the Metro League site.
· Activities/events listed here take place at Sunset HS unless noted otherwise. When you arrive, look for signs indicating the meeting room.Dates/times can change due to weather and unforeseen circumstances.