Children Left Unattended In Cars
Do Not Leave A Child Alone!
Do you know? The risks of leaving children unattended in cars.
The temperature inside a parked car can be 20-30 degrees hotter than the outside temperature.
Children are particularly at risk because....
- They can lose fluid quickly, become dehydrated.
- They will suffer from heatstroke which can be life threatening.
- However hot, they can't go outside by themselves.
How many unattended children in cars were rescued?
Between 1st September 2013 and 31st August 2014, Ambulance Victoria paramedics rescued 1,165 children who had been left unattended in a car. Figures from Ambulance Victoria reveal that:
- Two thirds of call outs for children locked in cars were to car parks, streets or public places.
- The summer months (December 2013 - March 2014) were the busiest period with an average of four call outs to a child left unattended in a car per day.
- 42% of incidents occurred between 11am and 3pm