Cotton, Wool, Silk, Flax, Etc.
- Soft, White, downy fiber (boll) attached to the seed of a cotton plant.
- Most widely used of all natural fibers.
- Grown in the southern states and have warm climates.
- Very strong and durable.
- cool to wear
- Wash in machine wash, tumble dry at moderate, press with warm to hot iron.
- Common uses: underwear, socks, shirts, blouses, jeans, trowels and sheets.
- The fiber that forms the coat (fleece) of sheep.
- Primary sources are Australia, South America, New Zealand, and United Kingdom.
- Warmest of all natural fibers, soft and resilient, naturally flame retardant, absorbs moisture more slowly than cotton, Shrinks if machine washed or dried, affected by moths.
- proper care- dry clean or hand wash in cold water. do not place in dryer, press with cool iron.
- Fiber that comes from the stem of a flax plant.
- Grown and harvested primarily in Eastern Europe.
- Linen is made by weaving or knitting flax fiber into fabric.
- Common uses- pants, blazers, table linens, upholstery.
- durable and strong, lustrous and smooth, comfortable and cool to wear, wrinkles easily, creases difficult to remove, can be expensive.
- Proper care- hand wash or dry clean, iron while damp.
- The fine, lustrous fiber that comes from a cocoon spun by a silkworm.
- Two fine streams of a thick liquid out of tiny openings in its head.
- Harden into filaments or fibers upon contact with the air.
- Luxurious appearance and feel, strongest of all natural fibers, drapes nicely, expensive, easily spots if fabric becomes wet, weakens with exposure to sun and perspiration.
- Proper care- dry clean or hand, press on wrong side with warm iron.
- Common uses- wedding gowns, lingerie, men's ties.
Leather and Fur
- Leather and fur are from hides or skins of animals.
- A tough, flexible material made by preserving animal hides through a process called tanning.
- Tanning converts hides into finished usable leather.
- Used for handbags, shoes, belts, jackets.
- Primary- cattle, goatskins, sheepskins, reptiles.
- Fur is soft, hairy coat of an animal.
- Used for coats, outerwear, trimmings
- Common sources- mink, chinchilla, fox, rabbit.