Tech Tip Thursday #2
Week of September 15, 2014
Google Extensions - What are they and where do I find them?
Definition of Google Extensions
Extensions are extra features and functionality that you can easily add to Google Chrome. By using extensions, you can customize Google Chrome with features you like, while keeping your browser free of things that you don't use. Extensions work in the Chrome browser and of course can work on any computer, laptop, or chromebook.
Where Can I Find Them?
There is only one place to download extensions and that is the Chrome Webstore.The Chrome Web Store offers apps and extensions for every educational need, from collaboration tools and video editing, to recorded lessons and math flashcards.
How to Install, Manage, Disable or Uninstall an Extension from the Chrome Browser
There are two ways to install extensions on your Chromebook.
- Go to the Chrome Webstore and download them yourself or
- Request extensions to be added to the Chromebook for those that are managed by the school district.
How do I uninstall extensions?
Uninstall an extension to remove it completely from the browser:
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Click Tools.
- Select Extensions.
- Click the trash can icon by the extension you'd like to completely remove.
- A confirmation dialog appears, click Remove.
You can also temporarily turn off an extension by disabling it on the Extensions page.