By Vanessa Romero
Hardships During Science Career
Gold Foil Experiment
- Most of the part of an atom is empty.
- Approximately all the mass of the atom is concentrated at the center of atom which is now called nucleus.
- In the central region of atom, the positively charged particles are present.
- The charge on the nucleus of an atom is positive and is equal to Z.e where Z is charge number, e is charge of proton.
- The negatively charged particles i.e. electrons revolve around the central positive portion in different circular orbits.
- Central region (nucleus) is very small in size if compared to the size of atom
"Ernest Rutherford - Scientist Supreme." Ernest Rutherford - Scientist Supreme. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Dec. 2014. <http://www.rutherford.org.nz/biography.htm#family>.
"Ernest Rutherford | Chemical Heritage Foundation." Ernest Rutherford | Chemical Heritage Foundation. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Dec. 2014. <http://www.chemheritage.org/discover/online-resources/chemistry-in-history/themes/atomic-and-nuclear-structure/rutherford.aspx>.
"Ernest Rutherford - Biographical." Ernest Rutherford - Biographical. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2014. <http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/1908/rutherford-bio.html>.
"Rutherford Model of the Atom." Rutherford Model of the Atom. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Dec. 2014. <http://chemistry.tutorcircle.com/inorganic-chemistry/rutherford-model-of-the-atom.html>.
PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 12 Dec. 2014. <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/databank/entries/bpruth.html>.