September 15, 2017
A Message from Mrs. Haltom, ENL teacher
Here at Brooks School Elementary we believe we are thinkers and collaborators, care for one another and celebrate each other. We decided to take caring for one another to the next level and impact people on a national level.
Did you know that the BSE Bears are investigating the Global Goals this year? The UN Sustainable Development Goals are a set of 17 goals to end extreme poverty, fight inequality and tackle climate change by 2030. These goals will be presented to the students in a variety of ways over the course of the year.
Our investigations will promote global awareness, and students will be involved in authentic learning and problem solving. There are endless possibilities for students to connect with classrooms in our city, our country, or anywhere else in the world.
WANT TO LEARN MORE?: http://worldslargestlesson.globalgoals.org/
CAN YOU HELP US WITH OUR LEARNING?: http://bit.ly/2wg8Yhg
PEANUT/TREE NUT ALLERGY FRIENDLY SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT
Here at Brooks School Elementary, we make the safety and well-being of every student our top priority. That’s why we’re going to pilot a new program to reduce students’ exposure to peanuts and tree nuts.
During the 2017-18 school year, BSE is going to be a peanut and tree nut ALLERGY FRIENDLY building. In order to do this, we need your help. We ask that you do not send your child to school with anything containing peanuts or other tree nuts, such as: almonds, pecans, walnuts, cashews, and pistachios. We will also not serve anything in our cafeteria made with peanuts or tree nuts.
Please remember if your child has a severe food allergy, it is imperative that you notify the school nurse. Also, if they require an Epi-pen, emergency medication orders must be signed by the child’s physician each school year.
Becoming a peanut and nut-friendly building is a collaborative effort. Students will not be punished if they bring in food containing nuts, so we cannot guarantee that children with allergies will not have accidental exposure.
This is a learning process for all of us, but we trust that you understand how important is to respect and adhere to these guidelines.
iOS11 and iPads
Apple will be releasing a new update to their iPad operating system, iOS 11, early next week. At this time, it is our recommendation that students/families NOT install this update. Our testing provider for ISTEP and IREAD, Pearson, has not approved this operating system for the TestNav app. Also, by waiting, it provides time for other apps that are used in the classroom to release their updates.
Once Pearson approves of iOS 11 we will inform you.
When viewing student fees for students in grades K-4 in Skyward Family Access, there will be multiple fees displayed that may look similar. However, for grades 1 through 4 there will be one for textbook fees and one for consumable fees. Kindergarten students will have a textbook, consumable and material fee. Textbook and consumable fees may include digital resources or periodicals depending on the grade level. If your student is renting an iPad, a separate fee will be listed.
If you have any questions regarding your child's fees, please contact our school's treasurer, Mrs. Fletcher.
Payment options are:
- e~Funds For Schools (click here): If you have not yet set up your account, you will need your child(ren)'s six-digit ID, which you can find on your Skyward account under Student Info as "Other ID"
- Check: Make checks out to "BSE" and include student name(s) in the memo section.
- Cash: Exact amount only as we do not have change in the office.
Checks or cash sent in with students should be in sealed envelopes with student & teacher names as well as "Attn: Mrs. Fletcher" written on the outside.
Art to Remember
Below are a few important updates:
- The Read-a-Thon ended on Monday 9/11, which was the last day for logging sessions in our Read-a-thon system.
- If you collected any cash donations, please send those in to the office as soon as possible so that your reader can get credit.
- As you have seen on your dashboards, your readers have earned RAT bucks to spend on prizes in the Read-a-thon store. This amount is based on the donations that your reader collected. We have 7 more days to access the dashboards and make prize selections. Please be sure to go redeem your RAT bucks within these next 7 days as the RAT bucks will expire on September 21, 2017.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com.
Lunch Visitors (K-4)
- Reservations are accepted SAME DAY only.
- Call the office at (317) 915-4250 by 9:30 AM.
- Due to space limitations, we can only allow three visitors per grade level (younger siblings are included in these numbers) with a total of 10 visitors per day.
- Guests will be asked if they would like to purchase our hot lunch of the day, bring lunch from home, or just sit and visit. Restaurant food is not permitted.
- Fridays are movie days in the cafe.
School Dismissal Manager
Please DO NOT use SDM for Early Dismissals. Those should be called into our office at (317) 915-4250.
All exceptions must be entered no later than 2:00 PM. If students are participating in after school activities but SDM does not reflect that, unfortunately they will not be able to stay.
From the Office
Please report absences or late arrivals by calling the school attendance line 317-915-4250 by 9:30 am. For your convenience, our Voice Mail is available 24 hrs per day.
Remember to please leave:
- your name
- your child’s name
- teacher’s name
- the date & reason for the absence
If your child needs to be released early from school, do not enter this in School Dismissal Manager. Instead, please send a note to the school explaining the reason and time of dismissal. You may also call the office 317-915-4250 before 2:00 pm.
Discovery Donations STILL Needed
Specials will have an added 4th rotation joining art, music and PE called Discovery. We need your help with supplies for this rotation. Please feel free to drop off any of the items below to our office at your convenience.
Water bottles (empty)
Toilet paper/paper towel rolls (empty)
Play doh/modeling clay
Pom poms (craft)
Washers (metal-hardware type)
Glue sticks (for glue gun...mini or regular)
- *odd leftover items to build/create with
Liger XC 2017
Click here for our flyer.
Watch Me Sculpt
Click here for our flyer with additional information about our programs.
Permitted use of school newsletters as required by the Equal Access Act
is not an endorsement of this group or this group’s beliefs by
Hamilton Southeastern Schools or the Board of School Trustees.