Empowering Students: Engaging, Supporting, Succeeding
September 26, 2022
- TONIGHT! Mon. September 26: Board of Education Meeting 7:15pm - at OEHS or live stream
- Wed. September 28 (6-7:30pm): Community CHAT: Together for Mental Health" Virtually Click Here for Flyer
OCTOBER IS: National Principals Month, National Domestic Violence Awareness Month, LGBTQ+ History Month, Global Diversity Awareness Month, National Disability Employment Awareness Month
- Mon. October 3 - 12: Ninth Annual SD 308 & Allied First Bank Food Drive!
- Tues. October 4 - Special Olympics Basketball Registration
- Wed. October 5: Equity Committee Meeting 5:30 at District Administration Center
- Fri. October 7: School Improvement Day (3.5 Hour student attendance)
- No Early Childhood Classes
- Fri. October 7: Kendall County Community Food Pantry - Oswego Satellite 5:30-7 at 61 Franklin Street, Oswego
- Mon. October 10: No School - Indigenous Peoples'/Columbus Day (District Closed)
- Tue. October 11: Board of Education Meeting 7:15pm - at OEHS or live stream
For complete District Calendar of Events, please click here.
See Something, Say Something!
Safety and security of our schools, to protect our students and our staff, is a shared responsibility. We should all remain vigilant and aware of our surroundings at all times. SD 308 teaches everyone to “see something, say something” reporting anything you see or hear that may be concerning, suspicious, or dangerous. At tonight's Board of Education meeting, a presentation will be shared to outline the many things the district does to monitor, prevent, and respond to safety concerns.
There are several ways to communicate your safety concerns to the district:
Tell a trusted adult: We want to encourage all students, especially our youngest learners, to tell an adult when they see or hear something concerning. It’s important that students know they can confide in adults at school and at home in order to report behaviors that could present a safety issue.
Fill out our SD 308 Incident Reporting Form: https://www.sd308.org/incident Using a simple online form, anyone can provide information about a potential safety issue to the district for investigation. The form can be completed anonymously, if desired. District and school leadership will follow-up on all reports. This form can be used to report inappropriate things seen on social media, concerning behavior, bullying or intimidation, threats, and any other situation that warrants a rapid investigation to prevent/respond to situations which may cause harm, damage, and/or fear.
Safe2Help Illinois: SD 308 collaborates with this 24/7 program where students can use a free app, text/phone, website (Safe2HelpIL.com) and other social media platforms to report school safety issues in a confidential environment. Once vetted, the tips will immediately be shared with local school officials, mental health professionals, and/or local law enforcement, depending on the nature of the tip. Students can seek help for themselves or others, including concerns for suicide, bullying, abuse, safety, and security. Please encourage your child to download the Safe2Help Illinois app, and save the phone number in their phone. This free resource could be the key to saving a life. Seek Help Before Harm. Watch more here. Find help on the District website at https://www.sd308.org/gethelp
Please make time to discuss the ways your child(ren) can report their concerns, and add the Safe2Help app and phone numbers to your family’s phones.
A MESSAGE FROM FOOD SERVICES:
- October 1st is the deadline to submit a Free & Reduced Meals Application
- Please note: The 30-day grace period from last year's application is coming to an end.
- This is the same program that was in place prior to COVID-19.
- To help make the line move faster in the cafeteria, please remind your student(s) to carry their ID and have it ready
- Please continue to check meal balance accounts in your student(s) wallets. Many students are currently showing negative balances at this time.
- Junior High/High School Lunch Special through Sept. 29: Harvest Grain bowl
- All month long, purple fruits and vegetables are being featured. These fruits and vegetables have powerful heath benefits and are rich in anthocyanins, which can lower inflammation, fight cancers, and heart disease.
The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) has issued a call for nominations for the Those Who Excel & Teacher of the Year Awards. This program recognizes seven categories: classroom teachers, early career educators (teachers 1-4 years), administrators, student support personnel, educational service personnel, community volunteers, and teams.. These awards honor individuals who have made significant contributions to Illinois’ public and nonpublic preK-12 schools. This year, any person or organization may submit nominations for the awards through the ISBE website.
ISBE is currently accepting nominations through NOVEMBER 18. To nominate an individual, visit Submit a Nomination Application.
- Last year, our district had the following individuals recognized by ISBE in this program:
- Anna Gibson (OP), Teacher - Award of Meritorious Service
- Alexis Harlow (OE), Teacher - Award of Meritorious Service
- Ashley Porras (GP), Teacher - Award of Meritorious Service
- Theresa Komitas, Administrator - Award of Meritorious Service
- Jennifer Pienkos, Student Support Personnel - Award of Meritorious Service
- KCCFP Oswego Satellite, (Team) - Award of Meritorious Service
NINTH ANNUAL - SD 308 and Allied First Bank Food Drive
- Food drive will run from Monday, October 3 through Wednesday, October 12
- Crosstown Game: Friday, October 14 at Oswego East
- Two ways to participate: Monetary Donations & Physical Items
- Every $1 donated equals 8 physical items
- Donate for your school (starting on Oct. 3) at: www.KCCFoodPantry.org/SD308
- Let's make this the BEST year yet!
Get ON BOARD as an SD 308 Bus Driver!
Paid Time Off! Attendance Bonuses! Retirement Benefits! Guaranteed Hours! Rewarding Work!
- Experienced drivers start quick! Those interested in learning how to drive a bus will receive paid training and assistance with obtaining all the necessary certifications and license.
- If you're a positive person, have a good driving record, enjoy helping others, and want a stable job with overtime opportunities- join us!
Student Bus Route Information
Not Riding The Bus?
- If your student(s) are assigned to a route and you are NOT using bus transportation, please let us know by completing this quick four question form .....Thank you!
Transportation Phone Line: (630)636-2999 Spanish: (630)636-2986
NEEDED: Student Volunteers
The Oswego High School Holiday Craft Fair, which is being held on November 5 (9-3:30) is currently looking for student volunteers. This is a GREAT opportunity to for junior high and high school students to earn Community Service hours. Please contact: Mrs. Seno at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630.636.2009 if interested.
Chromebook Insurance Open Enrollment Closes Oct. 1
Open enrollment for Chromebook Insurance ends October 1! The insurance policy is for accidental damage and theft. There is no deductible and it will cover all repair costs and the cost of replacement should it get stolen. With the average repair cost above $50, it more than pays for itself the first time you use it and you can take advantage of it an unlimited number of times during the coverage year.
- We highly recommend that every 5th - 12th grade family whose student(s) have a take home device to consider enrolling in this program. Check the flyer for all the information on how to register, enrollment dates, and the cost.
Please Spread The Word- We're Hiring!!
The district has positions available that are both full and part-time. There are openings for those with certifications and those without. Entry-level and experienced staff welcome!
If you're interested, we can help match you to a position that works with your interests and availability! Please feel free to email our recruitment specialist for assistance. View all openings and apply at www.sd308.org/jobs.
Share a Smile 🙂
Use this simple form to send a virtual smile to any staff member at SD308! The recipient will receive an e-message which includes your "smile"- which will brighten their day! Thank you for helping us let our staff know how important they are, and how much we all appreciate what they do for our students!