Kinetic Energy and Potential Energy
- Energy in motion
- The energy is defined by the amount of work needed to accelerate a given mass from rest to its current velocity.
- The mass will maintain its level of kinetic energy until its speed changes.
- kinetic energy = (1/2) mass of object x speed of object
Who discovered Potential Energy?
For the first time, the term potential energy was used by William Rankine in the 19th century.
- An object in rest
- Two types of potential energy: gravitational potential energy and elastic potential energy
- potential energy = mass x gravitational acceleration of the earth (9.8m/s^2) x height above earth's surface (meters)
Potential and Kinetic Energy Lesson for kids