WMS Summer News- July 18, 2023
A Note from the Desk of Ms. Serino, Westland principal
Summer MYP Exploration for All Westland Students/Staff
An all-school read (It Wasn't Me) and online assignments
Each summer, Westland students and staff read a text that explores a compelling issue(s). (This year our issues are focused on building community and repairing harm to a community.) Students also complete several assignments within an online classroom. This work leads into further school-wide exploration and action in the fall.
Please come by the school between 8:30-3:30 to borrow a copy of the text, It Wasn't Me by Dana Alison Levy or get a copy from your local library! You can borrow it for the month of July or the month of August.
Click here for details. MYP Summer Read/Exploration
Frequently Asked Question: Is the book required?
Answer: No, but highly recommended since we will be working with the characters' perspectives and the themes throughout the first part of the year. The overarching themes of building community and repairing community are essential.
Summer Learning for All Westland Students
Summer Math- practice exercises
We encourage Westland students to complete material for the math class they are enrolled in this fall to keep their math brains sharp. Click here. Westland Summer Math Practice
Summer Reading- book (of your choice) and postcard
We ask Westland students to read a book of their choice and complete a post card-sized review that can be mailed, dropped off over the summer or submitted to English teachers when students arrive to school in the fall. Click here. Westland Summer Reading Postcard Template
Frequently Asked Question: Won't you please give our kids more math and reading work this summer?
No, because our teachers won't be launching the year with time spent on feedback on summer work. But as parents, you can give them more!!!! Click below to learn about the summer reading challenge and a free, Kid Museum opportunity.
FOR THE READERS (OR NON-READERS) IN YOUR HOME
FOR THE STEM-MINDED (OR NON-STEM MINDED) IN YOUR HOME
Brief, Sneak Peek Orientations for Students New To Westland- July 25 or Aug 15
Order Westland Clothes- For PE or for Hanging Out- STORE CLOSES AUG 1
PARENT/CAREGIVER INFO SESSIONS- AUG 17 and SEPT 11
On August 17 at 6 PM join Ms. Serino, principal, and other key staff who will review the most important information for the start of school.
On September 11 at 6 PM, after your kids have had nine days of school, Ms. Serino will offer another session to fill in any gaps.
Bilingual in English and Spanish.
Meeting ID: 973 2464 3856
A 3-ring binder with locking rings or an accordian file
A pencil pouch
Pens, pencils, highlighters
A set of colored pencils
Headphones or earbuds
Non-aerosol deodorant (for PE)
Athletic shoes (for PE)- wear them or leave them in a PE locker
We supply a Chromebook and charger- you label them!
We supply combination locks
A change of clothes for PE
A planner/calendar book
A reusable water bottle
A case or sleeve for your Chromebook
A sharpie or labels to label your stuff
Me? I use a sharpie for my kids, but if you are already going to purchase labels for your kid's water bottle, lunch box, trumpet case, etc. why not support a Westland fundraiser?
20% of Back to School Sale in progress!
Chromebooks Distributed to New Students
FAQ: What if we can't make it on 8/15 or 8/18?
A new student can get a Chromebook on the mini day on Aug 24, a new parent can get their child a Chromebook at back to school night on Aug 24 or a new student will get a Chromebook the first or second day of school.
FAQ: Does the school supply Chromebook bags or sleeves?
We do not have cases to distribute so we would recommend purchasing a padded sleeve when you shop for Back to School supplies.
SAVE THE SAME DATE for Back to School Night for PARENTS/CAREGIVERS! IT IS SUPER EARLY!!!!
Frequently Asked Question: Why is Back to School Night so early this year?
Answer: Per usual, we wanted to avoid overlapping with BCC HS as well as Somerset, Bethesda, Westbrook, Chevy Chase and Rock Creek Forest. We also wanted to try a different approach- a PRE school back to school night that some other schools seem to love.
Main Office (240.740.5850)
Principal- Ms. Alison Serino, Alison_L_Serino@mcpsmd.org
Assistant Principal- Ms. Karen Bryant, Karen_Y_Tucker@mcpsmd.org
Assistant Principal- Ms. Vernitta Tucker, Vernitta_Tucker@mcpsmd.org
Administrative Secretary- Ms. Terri Howells, Mary_T_Howells@mcpsmd.org
Financial Specialist- Ms. Suzanne Marcou, Suzanne_W_Marcou@mcpsmd.org
Counseling/Registrar Office (240.740.5860)
Counseling Chairperson/7th grade counselor- Ms. Caryn Fischer, Caryn_Fischer@mcpsmd.org
6th Grade Counselor- Ms. Laura Williams, Laura_K_Williams@mcpsmd.org
7th Grade Counselor- Ms. Lauren Geissel, Lauren_Geissel@mcpsmd.org
8th Grade Counselor- Ms. Ashley Harper, Ashley_Harper@mcpsmd.org
Counseling Office Secretary- Ms. (Sara) Sally Belott, Sara_A_Belott@mcpsmd.org
CALENDAR- NEW EVENTS ADDED IN BOLD
- ALL OF JULY- come by to borrow a book that we are ALL reading this summer- It Wasn't Me by Levy
- July 25- Sneak Peek sessions for students new to Westland- see sign up above
- August 1-14- come by to borrow a book that we are ALL reading this summer- It Wasn't Me by Levy
- Tu, 8/15- 2-4 PM- Chromebook distribution for new students- no appointment necessary
- Th, 8/17- 6:00 PM- Zoom info session for parents/caregivers (bilingual in Spanish)
- F, 8/18- 8:30-10:30 AM- Chromebook distribution for new students- no appointment necessary
- Tu, 8/24- 8:15-12:00 noon- Mini Day for students new to Westland (MCPS buses will run)
- Tu, 8/24- 6:30-8:20 PM- Back to School Night for ALL Parents and Caregivers
- M, 8/28- 8:15-3:00- First Day of School for Students
- F, 9/1- Student ID/yearbook photos taken during PE classes
- M, 9/4- Labor Day Holiday- No School
- F, 9/8- Back to School Family Picnic (PTA Event!) 6-8 PM (rain date Sept 29)
- M, 9/11- 6:00 PM- Zoom info session for parents/caregivers (bilingual in Spanish)
- Tu, 9/19- 6:40 PM- Parent Mtg about Family Life Health Curriculum- hybrid format- Zoom and in person
- F, 9/22- Early Release Day- Student Dismissed at 12:30 PM
- M, 9/25- No School for Students and Teachers
- F, 9/29- Rain date for Sept 8 Back to School Family Picnic (PTA Event!) 6-8 PM
Westland Middle School
Location: 5511 Massachusetts Avenue, Bethesda, MD, USA