By Caitlin Thompson
1) Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average.
2) Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism.
3) There is no medical detection or cure for autism.
4) Autism is the fastest growing disability in the United States and it is growing at 14% per year around the world.
5) More common than childhood cancer, diabetes, and AIDS combined.
6) 49% of children with autism attempt to elope from a safe environment, a rate nearly four times higher than their unaffected siblings.
7) Between 2009 and 2011, accidental drowning accounted for 91% total United States deaths reported in children with autism subsequent to wandering.
8) Effects one in every 150 children born in the United States.
9) If one identical twin is diagnosed with autism, the other twin has about 90% chance to develop an autistic disorder.
10) Approximately 67 million people world wide are affected by autism.