Mrs. C's Biology Newsletter
Welcome to Online Biology
New to online learning...
Roles of Learning Coach
Learning coaches take on a big role in the student's education. Two of the biggest roles is as a manager and a guide.
As a manager some things you may need to help facilitate include:
- Organization - Help organize materials, learning space, and study times. Organize the day and week to help your student make progress in all classes.
- Expectations - Set high expectations for your student; check their work and encourage the best product. Remind them that the goal is LEARNING, not just getting the assignment done.
- Motivation - Help your student find the best times of the day for motivation. If they work best in the morning, schedule morning classes. If they have are hard time getting up, schedule school time for later in the day.
- Monitoring - You see your student each day; monitor and record progress made.
The goal of the high school education is to help your student become an independent learner. They may need more help at first with certain tasks like organization and motivation. As time goes by try pulling back on the supports to help them become a more independent learner.
REMEMBER - You are not alone. If you are having issues understanding your role or having challenges with how to help your student in certain areas, please don't be afraid to reach out. We'll work together to brainstorm ways that might help your student find solutions to the challenges you are noticing.
Returning to online learning...
Things to think about...
- What are the reasons you chose online education?
- What is family like life?
- What are your student's interests? activities?
- What are things you think I should know to help you have a successful year?
- Do you have specific goals for your student this year?
- How does your student like to learn?
- Are there any barriers to learning that would be helpful to know?
- What are your concerns?
- What have been some successful learning experiences? And on the other hand, what have been some unsuccessful learning experiences?
Also, please think about what type of communication works best for you.
- We will meet virtually once per month. What times work best for you for this type of meeting?
- If we need to speak on the phone, what times of day work best for you.
- You can contact me via email at anytime.
- I will return all communication within a 24 hour time period.
- Office hours are listed below and I can be contacted via Skype or phone during this time.