December 18, 2015 (Volume 13)
*IN THIS ISSUE*
- Enjoy break.... and do something meaningful!
- Local Career Center open houses & applications
- Summer experience deadlines approaching quickly!
- MAKE IT! contest
- MDHE monthly reminders (Nov./Dec.)
- College fairs/events throughout the Metro & beyond
Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Financial Aid Night @ LSN - Jan. 14, 2016
- FAFSA Frenzy - Feb. 28, 2016
- The Scholarship "MASTER" (+ NEW Tips & Tricks for using it)
- Scholarship highlights
"Do you wanna build a snowman?"
But first, let me be clear: M ≠ (TC+PP+Ee)!
Translation: "Meaningful" does not require that your actions be Time-Consuming, Pre-Planned, or Elaborately executed. (See? Your teachers were right! You really WILL use algebra well into your everyday adult life...dang-it!)
- Make a pinecone bird feeder with a younger sibling, a neighbor kiddo, etc. It's super simple, and they LOVE watching how appreciative the birds are! Directions: 1) Find a handful of pinecones, 2) Tie brightly colored string around the top row of "scales" 3) with a spoon, smear peanut butter all over the pinecone, 4) roll in a plate of birdseed until all of the PB is covered, and 5) hang on a tree branch (preferably outside).
- Write a sincere, personalized holiday card to your neighbor and leave it on their front doorstep. (Yes, it has to be the FRONT door, unless you feel like getting arrested for stalking; and yes, you can "ding-dong ditch", but only between the hours of 10a-5p - otherwise, kinda defeats the pleasantries.)
- While you're out shopping, pop over to a row of parking meters and start feeding them dimes (or whatever you have on hand - they gobble up all coin currency).
- Conduct a scholarship search... or, at the very least, create a plan to get started. (You had to know I was going to sneak that in there, right?!?!) This process is for all HS student grade levels, not just seniors; and not just 4.0+ GPA students, either! May I recommend starting with LSN's very own Scholarship MASTER?? (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tnk4RvkshY7dUekHwXBk28--7559ZHDCCBjVm25a0SA/edit?usp=sharing)
- Help by bagging the next customer's groceries after checking out at the store (assuming all of the "baggers" are otherwise engaged).
- Do some soul-searching or daydreaming about life after high school. This tool is a great way to get started: https://www.collegegreenlight.com/media/greenlight/fitkit/whatSetsYouApart.pdf
- Keep working on your community service hours... or, in some cases, start working on your community service hours - the most recent list is located on the Guidance website: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LQQL_wL34WRWAFrZ-dqFsqFb7gGks0rkHjSzjCGMAB4/edit?usp=sharing.
**Actually building a snowman was intentionally left OFF of the list; this lady needs new tires before it snows, and Santa hasn't confirmed my spot on the "nice" list yet. :)
Sometimes, the most impactful, positive memories are those that were built in the moment you chose to act on a spontaneous opportunity. Feel free to tweet your own ideas or evidence of meaningful interactions @LSNGuidance (https://twitter.com/LSNGuidance). I would LOVE to see what you come up with! (Just remember, if someone copies you, it's a compliment to your character and/or actions.) :)
Tech Programs: Applications Available + Open House Information
Attention Sophomores & Juniors!
Can you believe it is already time to begin thinking about course selection for the 2016-2017 school year?!?! As a junior or senior at LSN, students have the opportunity to apply to one of our three surrounding career centers: Summit Technology Academy, Herndon Career Center, and Cass Career Center. Applications are now available!
Summit Technology Academy (STA) in Lee’s Summit and Herndon Career Center in Raytown will be holding open houses in January, and February. Students interested in any STA or Herndon programs and their parents/guardians are encouraged to attend these events.
Summit Technology Academy
Application with instructions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx5J7Kwg_oFka3Vmd3g2a3VQSEtqRGtFMk1xRnAxY0pvWDE0/view?usp=sharing
Come check out the amazing opportunities @ Summit Tech Academy during any of the STA Open House Nights: Thurs., January 14, 2016, OR Tues., February 2, 2016. Sessions run as follows:
- 6:00-6:30 PM "Early Planners" session for Middle School students and their parents
- 6:30-8:00 PM STA Classroom Open House (come-and-go style)
- 6:30-7:00 PM & 7:00-7:30 PM Missouri Innovation Campus (MIC) Program Presentation**
**At each of these open house events, current sophomores and their parents will also have the opportunity to learn more about the Missouri Innovation Campus. Students that fit the MIC profile...Algebra I in 8th grade, interest in STEM careers, great attendance, and the desire and determination to take college courses while in HS and complete at 3-year, paid internship with a great corporate partner...should attend these informational sessions.
Herndon Career CenterApplication with instructions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx5J7Kwg_oFkaklHRG9EV21MNl9GMlZwdTdwTm5yWWV6d0Ew/view?usp=sharing
- Wed., January 20, 2016 from 5:00-7:00 PM
- Parents/students are not required to RSVP for the event. They can come and go as they like. Students are encouraged to tour the program(s) that most interest them.
Cass Career Center:Students interested in any Cass Career Center programs should visit with their counselor; applications can be obtained from Ms. Seitz in the LSN Guidance office. There will be opportunities to tour Cass Career Center in the spring.
Summer Experience Deadlines Approaching Quickly!
*Contest* MAKE IT!
- Deadline: Mar. 25, 2016
- Prizes include (2) HD Digital Camcorders + more
- Music Video, Narrative, Documentary, Animation
- 1-10 mins. in length
- Original Material of from the Public Domain
- You may submit more than one project
Columbia College Scholarship Day
Monday, Jan. 4th, 8am
1001 Rogers Street
To RSVP for Jan. 4th - Click here
To RSVP for Jan. 16th - Click here
You would be competing for
Columbia College Scholarship (5) = full tuition, room and board
Presidential Scholarship (5) = full tuition
See what other scholarships are available with the Scholarship Finder.
Who is eligible to participate?
· Incoming Freshman (HS Senior)
· Minimum 26 ACT (1170 SAT) and 3.6 GPA
If you are interested in attending Scholarship Day, you must be admitted and submit all application materials two weeks prior to the day you compete. This includes:
- Completed application for admission with $35 fee (fee waived if you applied prior to January 1st)
- High school transcript
- Any college transcripts (this includes dual credit)
- ACT or SAT scores
- Resume of high school, community and leadership activities
- Two letters of recommendation
Auditions will be held at the end of scholarship day for students interested in competing for music talent award scholarships. If you are interested in auditioning, please indicate interest on the RSVP form and we will schedule an audition time for you.
University of Tulsa Spring Visit Line-up
Monday, Jan. 18th, 8am
800 South Tucker Drive
· Financial Aid Workshop – January 31 – open to parents of high school seniors
· Tulsa Time Overnight Visit Program – February 14-15 – open to high school seniors and their parents
· Tea & Talk for Parents – March 6 – open to parents of admitted students
· TU Up Close for Juniors – March 25 – open to high school juniors and their parents
Future Teacher & International Advocacy Day @ Avila University
Thursday, Feb. 18th, 9am-2pm
11901 Wornall Road
Kansas City, MO
Financial Aid Night @ LSN
Thursday, Jan. 14th, 6:30-8pm
6:30p - Presentation by Angela Karlin, Director of Financial Aid at UCM
7:30p - Q & A
FAFSA Frenzy 2016
Sunday, Feb. 28th, 2-4pm
850 Northwest Chipman Road
Lee's Summit, MO
Join us to get FREE assistance completing your FAFSA!
The Scholarship MASTER
I challenge you to take some time over the December break to complete as many scholarship applications as possible. Statistics show that, on average, you will earn one scholarship out of every 10 applications. Ready....and.... GO!
"Top Ten List" Scholarship Contest
You will need to create a Unigo account/profile in order to apply for this scholarship - this is where a "college-only" email address would come in handy! :)https://www.unigo.com/scholarships/our-scholarships/top-ten-list-scholarship/application
- Deadline: Dec. 31, 2015
- Must be at least 13 yrs. old
- Write a CREATIVE, UNIQUE, MEMORABLE "Top Ten List" of reasons you should be chosen for this scholarship (in 250 words or less)
- Deadline: Jan. 15, 2016
- Must be a current DECA/FBLA member
- Plan to major in: Hospitality Management, Accounting, Business/Consumer Services, Fashion Design, Finance, Marketing, Food Service/Hospitality, or Education
- Deadline: [postmarked between] Jan. 1st - Feb. 10th
- 2.5+ GPA
- Must have a documented learning disability
Create-A-Greeting-Card Scholarship Contest
- Deadline: Feb. 25, 2016
- Must be at least 14 yrs. old and attending an accredited educational institution
- 1 entry per person
*JUST IN* Missouri Society of CPA's Scholarship
- Deadline: Feb. 26, 2016
- HS Senior, MO resident (or child of an MSCPA member)
- Majoring in Accounting at a Missouri higher education institution
- Must be an MSCPA member (join here: http://www.mocpa.org/students/student-membership/hs-app)
- Complete application (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/23RKBCY)
- Recommended by teacher or administrator (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2FRLVJR)
(Test Date / Registration Date / Late Registration Date ($25 late fee)
February 6 / January 8 / January 9-15
April 9 / March 4 / March 5-18
June 11 / May 6 / May 7-20
See below for LSN Prep Course Info!
YOUR LSN GUIDANCE TEAM
Rebecca Seitz (A-D) 986-3036 firstname.lastname@example.org
Robin Gray (E-La) 986-3020 email@example.com
Laura Hillbrand (Le-R) 986-3018 firstname.lastname@example.org
Shelley McCain (S-Z) 986-3021 email@example.com
Tina Faulker (Social Worker) 986-3003 firstname.lastname@example.org
Karla Barnhill (Registrar) 986-3017 email@example.com
Valerie Meuschke (Admin. Asst.) 986-3003 firstname.lastname@example.org
J. Keltner (College & Scholarship Coor.) 986-3051 email@example.com
Harris Deutsch (ReDiscover) 986-3087 firstname.lastname@example.org