What's up in 2D!
Weekly happenings in the life of a second grader
December 19th- Student Winter Party- more information coming soon!
December 19th- Enrichment Cluster Showcase for 3rd, 4th & 5th grades!
December 20th- Early dismissal at 12:30!
2. We will not laugh at or make fun of a person's mistakes nor use sarcasm or put downs!
3. We will use good manners saying, "please," "thank you," and "excuse me," and allow others to go first.
4. We will cheer each other to SUCCESS!
5. We will help one another whenever possible!
6. We will recognize every effort and applaud it!
7. We will encourage each other to do our best!
8. We will practice virtuous living using the life principles!
The Life Principles
2. Effort -doing one's best in an endeavor. Ask your learner if they are giving their best effort at school!
3. Compassion: ability to share another's feelings or ideas.
4. Respect - paying proper attention or showing consideration to others.
5. Common Sense- thinking before acting, using good judgement.
6. Self- Discipline- the ability to choose and control one's own actions.
7. Friendship- caring for and trusting others
You are a genius and the world needs your contribution!
Here's what we need to KNOW!
Math: We are continuing are unit on addition and subtraction this week. Today we focused on fact families. This basic strategy will help students better understand the relationship between numbers. It will also help them recall numbers quickly. Test your learner at home to see if they are understanding borrowing and regrouping. Some students are still working on that!
Here are some good websites to try at home for math skills.
Shepard Software - http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/math.htm
Math Facts Basketball - http://www.abcya.com/math_facts_game.htm
Math Fact Practice! Play Kids Games - http://www.playkidsgames.com/games/mathfact/mathFact.htm
Science: This week we will begin to explore a unit of motion. Keep a look out for a flyer with more information on how you can support this learning
Language Arts: This week we are starting our stories about what we did over the snow day. This is a perfect opportunity for students to write a narrative. We will take this piece through the whole writing process, beginning with brainstorming, a rough draft, revising, editing and publishing. Looking forward to seeing the growth in their writing!
Social Studies: We are beginning a unit on Winter Holidays. Students will choose which groups they would like to be in as we research the customs and cultures of these different celebrations. The holiday's we will be researching are Diwali, Hanukkah, Christmas and Kwanzaa. If your family celebrates another winter holiday that is not listed please send some information about the celebration and we will add it to our list to research.