The Bulldog Growl
The latest happenings from LIW Rm 105
"Reach Every Student, Every Day."
Last Full Week of School!
*All AR book and Kindles that have been checked out need to be returned on Tuesday**
We had a great day in Mitchell on Wednesday. We visited the Prehistoric Indian Village, toured the Corn Palace, and spent an hour bowling. Lots of memories were made!
PREHISTORIC INDIAN VILLAGE (By Noah)
We went to the Mitchell Prehistoric Indian Village first. When we arrived, we watched a 12 minute movie about the digs and artifacts. Then we split into two groups, one touring the indoor exhibits, and one touring the Archeodome, or dig site. After that, we swapped spots. Thanks to Dennis and Lynette for guiding us.
Our visit to the Corn Palace was fun. The Corn Palace has undergone major renovations this past year and so things had changed since some of the students had been there last. It was interesting to read about the history of the Corn Palace on the timelines on the walls and the kids enjoyed seeing a little box with information about DeSmet and Laura Ingalls Wilder on it.
BOWLING (by Brayden)
It was lots of fun. You would get some special shoes. You would join a game and you would pick a bowling ball you would want to hit all the pins.
Summer Math/Reading Resources & Programs
- IXL.com is a great math resource for the students to access at home over the summer. (login: lunch # & password: liw)
- Their sumdog.com accounts will still be active over the summer as well. Another great "gaming style" resource for math review!
- Reading Plus - Reading Plus will be accessible online at readingplus.com all summer long. The students will continue to use their same login that they used during the school year. The school will be open for students in grades 3-5 from 9:00-10:00am to work on Reading Plus Tuesdays & Thursdays during the months of May, June and July.
- Scholastic Reading Challenge - I have enrolled all of the students in the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge. A note was sent home on Thursday which included their username and password. They will be able to unlock videos the more that they read! Check it out here.
- DeSmet Library Reading Program - A flyer was sent home on Friday with information about the public library's summer reading program. This is always a fun program for the kids and there looks to be some new and exciting activities planned! The book that is featured this year is Andy Shane and the Very Bossy Dolores Starbuckle by Jennifer Jacobson. You can find an excerpt of the book in the video below.
Visit a Pal Day
ABC Countdown Days for Next Week
Monday, May 16 - Xtra Recess Day
Tuesday, May 17 - Year End Clearance Day
Wednesday, May 18 - Zip Zoom Day