April 11, 2021
Wakeland Band Family -
It is starting to feel like marching band weather!
Lots of information coming out the next few weeks as we close out the school year, please read everything carefully!
2021-2022 Leadership Team Camp
Location: Wakeland High School
Eat dinner prior to camp
Bring Mask, Comfortable clothing and notebook/pencil
7:15am Meet at WHS Parking Lot
7:30am Depart WHS for Isle Du Bois @ Ray Roberts Lake via 423/380/377
8:15am Arrive at Isle Du Bois
8:30am Explore in groups of 4 or more/ Relax get to know other people
9:30am Leadership Session 1
12:15pm Leadership Session 2
1:50pm Depart for WHS
2:45pm Arrive at WHS
Please bring mask, athletic clothing, lots of water, snacks, sunscreen, comfortable shoes, lawn chairs, notebooks, pencil.
Thank you to our parents who have volunteered to chaperone.
2021-2022 Spring Training Camps:
All current high school students are encouraged to attend our spring training camps. Each Thursday we will be holding marching training camps each Thursday from 4:30-6:30pm. These training camps will help all students practice and refresh their marching fundamentals as we begin evaluation for the 2021 season.
Students need to bring athletic wear, water and a mask for the training camps. All camps will be on the band practice field.
2021-2022 Placement Auditions
Thank you to everyone who got their auditions in this weekend! We are still missing a few audition videos from students. Please get those videos submitted asap. We hope to have results out by Friday - April 16.
For our returning students please begin looking at the 2021-2022 calendar for the fall semester. All marching events leading up to school starting are confirmed. We will release the football schedule as soon as we can for the 2021 season.
Please remember that for any students to participate in marching band, you must have a current physical on file. Each physical is good for 1 year from the date of the exam. Please take a look ahead to make sure you will have an updated physical on file as soon as the other expires for end of year camps and summer band/fall.
Solo and Ensemble Information
Solo and Ensemble will be virtual this year due to COVID-19. The students will be submitting their solo performances online and be adjudicated by our outstanding panel.
Solo submissions are due on April 29, 2021 by 4:00p. Judges will adjudicate each solo performance and give each student a rating. Students will have the opportunity to be selected as outstanding soloists for each "room" and will be recognized at band banquet.
Students will not be performing with an accompanist this year due to COVID-19 safety measures.
Specifics for the recordings will be discussed in class and posted in Canvas.
You are invited to the 2020-2021 Wakeland Band Banquet!
Please read the requirements and COVID 19 Precautions below and submit your registration (google link).
Account Status: Members are reminded their accounts must be in good standing (currently enrolled in band/guard, no arrears; outstanding unpaid fees) in order for their Banquet RSVP to be accepted.
Please contact: email@example.com if you need to settle your account in advance of the Banquet RSVP deadline.
No Younger Sibling policy:
This event is a semi-formal dinner/banquet with the sole purpose of honoring and celebrating the achievements of our current Band and Guard students. The only exception to the "no younger sibling" policy is if the younger sibling is a current Wakeland HS student not enrolled in the Wakeland Band. Middle School/Elementary School (or younger) siblings are not permitted to attend. Any High School-aged sibling is expected to sit on the “Adult Side” of the Banquet room.
No Alcohol allowed.
Student Dress Code Expectations:
Male: Dress Suit & tie or 'Sunday best'. No jeans, shorts, tennis shoes or flip-flops. No caps, bandannas, etc.
Female: Modestly cut in the front so as not to show too much cleavage; plunging necklines are not allowed.
- Two-piece or see-through/mesh tops or bra-top type dresses are not acceptable; Midriffs should not be exposed in front, back or side. All dresses must cover the midriff region with no sheer fabric.
- Dresses should not be cut lower than the midriffs or the top of the waist in the back.
- No dresses with cut-outs in the front, back or sides of the dress.
- Dresses may not have a slit on the side, in the front or back that is higher than fingertip length in a standing position.
- Dresses may not be cut below the bust line on the sides.
- No cover-ups (coats, shawl, wraps, etc.) will be allowed over dresses in order to make them meet the dress code.
- Strapless dresses, spaghetti strap dresses, one strap dresses and/or halter top dresses that have none of the above-mentioned violations ARE ALL APPROVED dresses.
COVID 19 Precautions
- All guests will wear a cloth mask at all times during the event, except when dinner is served. Face shields are not permitted as the only face covering.
- During photo opportunities, masks are to stay on.
- All guests are to social distance when not in seats.
- Guests will need to stay seated at all times during the event and may not switch seats once the event has begun.
Any guest who does not follow the COVID 19 safety precautions will be asked to leave the banquet.
April 17th Music for All Live Stream Concert: We are performing “Boom Bap”, “Sculpture in Wood”, and “Toccata” at this concert. Percussion parents of students who are performing in these ensembles are able to attend this concert in person!!
1:00p - Call Time Dressed “All Black”
1:30p - Rehearsal on Stage
2:30p - 1st Recording
3:00p - Break
3:30p - Rewarm on Stage
3:40p - Doors Open
3:58p - Door Shut
4:00p - Live Stream Concert
4:30p - Conclusion of Live Stream Performance
5:00p - Dismiss
2021 Drumline Auditions are scheduled for the morning of April 23rd from 9:00a-12:00p.
April 29th is our dress rehearsal for our April 30th Percussion Concert. Dress rehearsal will be from 5:00p-10:00p at the latest. April 30th is our Wakeland Percussion Concert. The concert will begin at 7:00p. I am finalizing details as to if this concert will be able to allow a live audience or not and will communicate this as soon as we are informed. Unfortunately at this time we will not be having the Middle School Students joining us on stage this year.
May 1st is the last day to upload your solo for our virtual solo contest. More details about this event coming soon!
Important Percussion Specific Dates/Information:
- April 12 “Boom Bap” Sectional 4:30p-5:30p
- April 12 2021 Drumline Audition Camp 6:00p-7:30p
- April 15 “Toccata” Sectional 4:30p-6:00p
- April 15 “Sculpture in Wood” Sectional 6:00p-6:30p
- April 17 Music for All Live Stream (“Toccata”, “Boom Bap”, “Sculpture in Wood”)
- April 19 “Windows of the Maloca” Sectional 4:30p-5:30p
- April 19 2021 Drumline Audition Camp 6:00p-7:30p
- April 22 “Stones. On Shores. Waiting.” Sectional 4:30p-6:30p
- April 23 2021 Drumline Auditions 9:00a-12:00p
- April 26 “Windows of the Maloca” Sectional 4:30p-5:30p
- April 26 2021 Drumline Music Camp 6:00p-8:00p
- April 29 Percussion Ensemble Dress Rehearsal (ALL)
- April 30 Percussion Ensemble Concert
- May 1 Solo Videos Uploaded for Virtual Solo Contest
Reference the band calendar found at wakelandband.org for specifics on all rehearsals/events. Summer’s drumline calendar is already on the website. Please plan accordingly!
Reminders of all events will be sent out via the Remind app. Everyone (parents & students) should be signed up for our Remind. If you are not, please text @WHS-Perc to 81010. For Drumline Audition Updates please text @whsdl21 to 81010.
Director of Bands
Color Guard Director