Eastside: One Team, One Dream
"We never lose. We either win or we learn. - Nelson Mandela
Week of February 24th
Our mission is to build a strong educational foundation while meeting the unique needs of our students.
Working in partnership with the community, Eastside Elementary will provide all students:
A collaborative team of professionals who are committed to improve their practices, so that all students learn at high levels
A safe, positive, and inviting learning environment
An engaging and challenging curriculum focused on essential academics and life skills
Individualized and timely support that provides students with what they need to succeed
Watch this Video Below for Motivation!!! It has a lot of good one liners. My favorite two are "Job is not finished!" and "Taking the Prize Home"! Remember watch the video and apply it to what we are doing here at Eastside! Feel free to email eastsidestaff wide to say what your favorite one liner is to help motivate one another!
Be aware of the importance of each day!
- 25 important practices until K-2 Summative MAP (THE BIG GAME April 13-17)
- 30 important practices until 3rd-4th Summative ACT (THE BIG GAME - April 20 - 22)
- 35 important practices until 5th Summative ACT (THE BIG GAME - April 27-29)
One Picture of the 1 minute dance party after we submitted our MODEL PLC application
Last Week to Show Love for Hattie
Last week to fill in your last strategy for your 5 in a row! If you are going for the Sonic drink, you will also need a row covered going across without a heart. If you choose to cover your board and do all 12 strategies in the month, you will get your drink of choice, a chance to win a $25 gift card and a chance to win having your class covered for 30 minutes by admin. I can't wait to see all the boards. At the end of the day on Friday, you will turn your Hattie board in to Mrs. Patty. Make sure your name is on it at the top. Prizes will be awarded the following week.
Mrs. Isom Shares about Close Reads
Mrs. Williams Shares about Using Visible Learning in Room 503
After being introduced to John Hattie’s strategies, I was excited and eager to implement
Visible Learning into my classroom. I thought, “Wow! This is going to be great for my
room full of learners with exceptionalities!” I immediately began to research and use my
resources, so I could use these strategies in my classroom. As I scanned and read
about these strategies and their effect size, I came across ADHD. Negative effect size. I
thought about a couple of my students when I saw this. “How am I going to use
Reciprocal Teaching or any other strategy and see growth in these students?” That is
when I decided that I would use as many Hattie strategies as possible on a weekly
basis in my classroom! Since January, my students have enjoyed; Close Reading,
Reciprocal Teaching, the Jigsaw Method, Learning Targets, Success Criteria, Preflight
Checklist, 2 Stars and a Wish, Identifying Similarities and Differences, and Self
Reporting Grades! I cannot believe the increased level of engagement that I have seen.
It is truly incredible. Students are really taking ownership in the classroom and holding
each other accountable. This has allowed me to see learning through their eyes.
Being a special education teacher requires a lot of differentiation and some wonderful
one on one time with students. Going back to the negative effect size presented with
ADHD, I take full advantage of this one on one time. I ensure that prior to new or
repeated Hattie strategies used in the classroom, I get with these specific students to
discuss the specifics of them before the class assignments/activities take place. I have
observed that this allows ALL students to participate in quality discussion and feel
confident with material that is being learned. This week we plan to use Microteaching,
Close Reading, and Captain’s Log in our classroom. In room 503… WE LOVE HATTIE!
Sweeps this Week
Sweeps from this past week with the block staff showed 96% engagement which is 6% up from the last week.
Black History Month Celebrated in a Big Way this Year! Thank you Ms. Franklin for your leadership in this project!
Details for the Week
Click this link for the Bring It On board. Bring It On Board Feb 24-28 The board is open for everyone to sign up! Currently there is no one signed up to be observed. Things that teachers have asked to see are assessments in block, 2 stars and a wish, microteach, and student ownership.
Post Conference Reminders: Set up any conferences that did not show. We need to try to make contact with parents. If parents would rather do a phone conference, that is fine as well. Turn in your conference sign in sheet to Mrs. Krogman's box by end of the week.
Keep your hallways and rooms looking nice!
Remember watch the video and apply it to what we are doing here at Eastside! Feel free to email eastsidestaff wide to say what your favorite one liner is to help motivate one another!
Our Groupme will only be used after school hours from now on. I know when you send something you are on your prep, lunch, or break, but those receiving the messages are not and this can be a distraction to the learning.
Make sure if you are in a room to assist a teacher with interventions that you are doing just that and not visiting with the adult in the room. I have addressed those that I have seen this happen in. You are in the room to help kids! If you have questions about this, please see me personally.
Know that I am never too busy to visit with you. If you need to speak with me, please let me know and we will schedule a time to sit down and visit.
SIT, DIBELS, and MAP PM INFO:
SIT comments will be for Kinder and 1st grade
DIBELS PM will be for grades K-2.
MAP PM will be for grades Kinder and 1st grade
- As a team, during a break or before/after school today, take a look around each other's classroom and hallway areas. Some of you still have some decluttering to do. I would prefer your teammates have a conversation around this with you. Let's have everything neat and tidy around Eastside by end of day on Wednesday.
- Return your book purchased for Black History Month to the office. We will keep these in a safe place so we can use them next year. If you haven't yet, be sure to post your work outside in the hallway that goes with your book. There is a book in the library available to check out for the one who founded Black History Month.
- Enrichment during PROWL will be changing this week. The purpose will be to ensure that everything is purposeful around literacy activities to help prepare for end of year testing.
- Jambalaya Day for Ray Galvan!!! This is a district wide meal the cafeteria is serving and it was inspired by one of our 5th grade students!
- Spring Picture Day
- SIT meets
- Education Northwest from Oregon will be here to conduct interviews on how the process is going. If you are being interviewed, you have received an email from me. Math team and first grade will meet today for team meetings. It is your choice if you want to meet again on Wednesday as a team.
- Lil' Dribblers Last performance at 7 Pm
- Team Meeting Day: see agenda that you all created at the end of last week's meeting.
- Radio Station 105 the WOLF will be recorded a week's worth of Pledge of Allegiances in 5 classrooms. If you were selected, you have received an email. Thank you Sherri Turner for contacting the station!
- Guiding Coalition meets at 3:10 - 3:40
- All things neat and tidy by end of day.
- I will have a visitor with me on Thursday morning. Her name is Nikkina Porter from GHS. She is working on her admin degree and is interning with me. You may see her from time to time. She is excited to be learning from all of you at Eastside and is very interested in our Solution Tree partnership.
- Digital Learning Day - see email from Ms. Havens
- Let's have all picnics and field trips on the calendar by Thursday.
- 3:30 Mrs. DeVorak's Wedding Shower
- Turn in Conference sheets to Mrs. Krogman's box by today.
- New Club Sign UP day - If you intend to change your club, please do so on the club sign up sheet prior to Friday. Just like before block and sped staff go help younger grades. The sign up sheet will go live at 8:00. Club Sign Up. We will only have 5 weeks of clubs starting next week until the end of the year. The dates are on the Google Doc calendar that Mrs. Krogman keeps up to date.
- Recess meetings - details sent out later this week
Eastside Engaging with Community Partners
Card Making Club with Mrs. Strick
The card making club made valentines for the widows group at Cross Point! The ladies received these at their church banquet! Great job kiddos and Mrs. Strick on giving back!
Special Dentist Presentation by Conway Dental to Pre-K
Mayor Hartwick with the Woodworking Club
Our woodworking club led by Mrs. Cardin and Mrs. Turner gave birdhouses to Mayor Hartwick for the new city park!
Card Making Club with Mrs. Strick
Great Learning This Week
Important Dates (Refer to EES 2019- 20 Calendar shared by Mrs. Krogman)
March 2-6 ACT ASPIRE INTERIM 3
March 2-3 Dr. Howse with Math teachers (rescheduled from original dates)
March 4 - Team Meeting day and Guiding Coalition meets at 3:10
March 6 - Clubs/Dr Seuss Day/Seussical the Musica/Spirit Day
March 10 - Board Meeting 6 PM
March 11 - Team Meeting Day
March 12 - End of Third Nine Weeks / PTO Meeting
March 13 - Staff Meeting 7:40
March 16th week - Book Fair
March 16-17 Mrs. Bailey will be with us
March 17 - Math and Wellness Night 6 PM
March 18 - Team Meeting and Principal from Gravette Elementary to see our school and Guiding Coalition meets at 3:10
March 20 - Clubs/Awards Assembly
March 20th - Teacher Tailgate hosted by 4th grade and PTO
April 24th - Teacher Tailgate hosted by 5th grade and PTO
Thursday, April 2nd is Autism Awareness Day. A Google Form offering the purchase of a t-shirt to support Autism Awareness was shared last week. If you decide to purchase a t-shirt, you may wear them with jeans on April 2nd.
A Very Special Talent Show will be hosted in Greenbrier on April 25th for students with special needs from central and North Central Arkansas. Sign up to help: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yNjYirCv1TTiX9YNUx41KlRosUkkQmvvKnKvgbBnf00/edit?ts=5d89f3dc#gid=0
MARK YOUR CALENDARS! EASTSIDE BUILDING RETREAT AUGUST 5th - 6th
Words to Live By This Month
Character Word of the Month = Kindness
COMPUTER SCIENCE WORD = Loop