The soul has no gender
What is Geneder Dyshphoria?
Possible Causes of Gender Dyshphoria
- This may be causes by biological factors associated with the development of gender identity before birth.
- Hormonal changes and exposure to estrogenic drugs.
- A condition called congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) and intersex condition's.
- Chromosomal abnormalities
- Defects in normal human bonding and child rearing (Mandal,2013)
Signs and Symptoms
- Consistently saying they are the opposite sex. For example: If a person is a male and they are saying they are a female
- Strongly preferring friends of the sex with which they identify
- Rejecting the clothes, toys, and games typical for their gender
- Refusing to urinate the proper way their sex is supposed too
- Saying they want to change their genitals
- Having extreme distress about the changes their bodies are making
In Teens and Adults
- Certainty that their true gender is not aligned with their body
- Disgust with their genitals.
- They may avoid showering, changing, or having sex
- Strong desire to be rid of their genitals.
Children or adults might dress and otherwise present themselves like the sex they feel they are (Goldberg,2014).
- The most highly recommended is talk therapy. This is with a psychologist that the person feels comfort with.
- Cross-sex hormone therapy which is a form of hormone replacement therapy in which sex hormones are administered.
- Full time real life experience in the desired gender role
- Sex reassignment surgery (Nolen-Hoeksema,2014)
Myths & Misconceptions
- Children are too young to know or make these decisions
- You are whatever your bits say you are
- Gender-nonconforming behavior and identities are a result of something parents did
In Need of a Therapist?
- Bachelors or Masters degree.
- Competence in mental disorders
Causes of Gender Dysphoria. (2013, April 25). Retrieved May 09, 2016, from http://www.news-medical.net/health/Causes-of-Gender-Dysphoria.aspx
Gender dysphoria . (2016). Retrieved May 09, 2016, from http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Goldberg. (2014, September 24). Gender Dysphoria: What It Is and How It's Treated. Retrieved May 09, 2016, from http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/gender-dysphoria?page
Nolen-Hoeksema, S. (2014). Abnormal psychology (6th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.