Biology Course Update Newsletter
March 14th, 2014
In this issue...
Check Your Grades: Grades Have Been Updated!
You will receive a course update email from me every two weeks, immediately after an Assignment Due Date.
Please read through the newsletter for helpful information.
GAVS Spring Break: April 7-11
If your spring break (at your face to face school) is at a different time, you are still responsible for GAVS due dates. Contact your instructor if you will not be working in the course. Work ahead if necessary so that you can enjoy your break and still get your assignments in on time.
FUN SCIENCE FACT: What do the Ides of March (March 15th) Have to Do With Science?
Perhaps you recall that the Ides of March (March 15th) is the day that Caesar took his last breath while being assassinated?
Listen to this Podcast to find out how many of Julius Caesar's molecules are inside of you right now. Think about how this is related to nutrient cycling and the biochemistry we have been speaking about within this course. Science is pretty cool!
Peer Tutoring Available!
Please send me an email if you are interested in peer tutoring and I will help to facilitate a connection.
Private/Homeschool Students: Take Survey to Start EOCT Registration
Public school students: Check with your facilitator to be sure you are registered.
Private/Homeschool Students: Please follow the directions below to register.
Registration Dates - March 3-April 4, 2014
Registration Deadline- Friday, April 4, 2014
EOCT Test Date- Tuesday, May 6, 2014
HOME SCHOOL AND PRIVATE SCHOOL STUDENTS, who are currently enrolled in the AB or B sections of a GaVS course, which by the state of Georgia, requires an End of Course Test (EOCT) must complete the registration survey. Click Here to view a list of EOCT courses.
Click EOCT Private School and Home School Student Registration Survey to register for the May 6, 2014 EOCT test.
- The EOCT is your final exam. If you miss the EOCT test your final grade will not be released.
- EOCT information will be sent 2 weeks prior to the EOCT test date.
- EOCT information will be sent to parent and facilitator email addresses.
- EOCT information will be sent to all students' GaVS email accounts.
- Address questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Some Biology Humor For You ... Can You Explain To Mom/Dad Why These Are Funny?
The Parent Account gives you information about your child’s grades and progress in their course. If your child’s grade drops below a 75, you will receive an automated phone call. If your child’s grade drops below a 70, you will receive a phone call from me.
If you already have a parent account please do NOT create a new one.
1) Please check to see that your parent account is linked to your student’s account.
2) For more information click Help on the Log in page or click this link.
If you are uncertain about whether you have a parent account or not,
1) Log in to GAVS at www.gavirtualschool.org and at the Log In page type in your username and password.
2) For more information click Help at the top of the Log In page or click this link.
*Information for parents who have NEVER created a parent account.
1) Login to our website www.gavirtualschool.org
2) Click the “Log In To GAVS” icon
3) Click “Create An Account” from the navigation bar.
4) You will need to know your child’s GTID and date of birth.
5) Please follow the directions on the screen.
6) Be sure you have linked your parent account to your student’s account.7) For more information simply click HELP at the top of the Log In page or click this link.