Blue Devil eNews
Reading Community City School District | February 2020
Central Elementary Named High Progress School of Honor
Reading Central Elementary received the 2019 High Progress School of Honor from the Ohio Department of Education for achieving high performance, outstanding progress, and momentum for students. The Schools of Honor program recognizes schools that have sustained high achievement and substantial progress while serving a significant number of economically disadvantaged students. Central Elementary ranked in the 90th percentile or higher of statewide gains in English language arts and math performance for schools with more than 40% of its student population who are economically disadvantaged.
“I am so proud of the teachers, aides, and support staff who devote themselves to growing students, themselves, and our educational practices each and every day,” shared Susan Fraley, Principal, Reading Intermediate School. Fraley was principal of Central Elementary before Central and Hilltop merged to one campus this school year.
“Your school has accomplished this over the last five years. That’s an extraordinary achievement,” said Paolo DeMaria, Superintendent of Public Instruction. “You’ve shown administrators, teachers, and families who have high expectations and consistently support their students can enable children from every background to achieve academically. Together, you are opening a world of opportunities for your students and building an exciting legacy for your community.”
National School Counselors Week
National School Counseling Week is celebrated from February 3-7, 2020. We are so grateful for our school counselors who go above and beyond to support our Reading students in so many ways!
Reading High School - Teri Bemmes and Ronda Eisenhard
Reading Primary School - Sarah Blair
Reading Intermediate School - Tom Snyder
Reading Middle School - Leslie Salerno
Retirees Come Back to Visit New School
Preschool Open House and Registration
Reading's preschool is a 5-day a week, full and half-day program that follows the same school calendar as Reading Elementary. Due to the popularity of this program, a lottery will be held for preschool registration. Registration closes on Friday, February 7, at 3 p.m.
All children must be 3 years of age on or before September 30, 2020, to enter the lottery. Four-year-olds will have priority in the lottery.
Thanks, Reading Elementary PTO for Wonderful Snowflake Dance
Reading Teacher Selected to Present at Conference
We are proud of Reading Elementary School teacher Jordan Meehan who has been chosen to present at the 2020 Southwest Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics (SWOCTM) Annual Mini-Conference that will be held on February 29. Mr. Meehan will be presenting on Building Fluency Through Number Talks.
Fall All Stars Named
The Enquirer recently announced its 2019 Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky High School Fall All-Stars. Congratulations to the following Reading athletes who were recognized:
First Team: Tanner Cromer, Reading
HM: Zach Barker;
First Team: Erin Androne, Emma Phelps
Second Team: Kyla Hackman
HM: Kyle Smith
First Team: Olivia Simpson, Payton Koebbe
Second Team: Ally Sands
Spirit Wear on Sale Through February 23
February Reading High School Guidance Corner
- Friday, February 7 is Teacher Talk Day at RHS. Teachers will recommend courses for students for next year. Please sign and return your student's Course Selection Sheet with them as soon as possible.
- Second Quarter Honor Roll students will be honored at a dinner Monday, February 10, at 6 p.m. in the cafetorium. Invitations were sent via email. Please RSVP for this.
- Counselors will meet with current 8th-grade students for individual scheduling on Tuesday, February 11 and Wednesday, February 12.
- Jostens will be delivering Graduation Announcements on Wednesday, February 12 before school in the Cafetorium.
- Guidance Counselors will be at Scarlet Oaks on Wednesday, February 12 at the beginning of the day to bubble ACT sheets.
- Counselors will meet with current 11th-grade students for individual scheduling on Friday, February 21 and Monday, February 24.
- ALL Juniors will take the ACT on Tuesday, February 25 at Reading High School.
- Counselors will meet with current 10th-grade students for individual scheduling on Thursday, February 27 and Friday, February 28.
- Counselors will meet with current 9th-grade students for individual scheduling on Tuesday, March 3 and Wednesday, March 4.
- Spring Conference Day will be from 7:30 a.m. - 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 12. Scheduling information will be sent out soon.
Reading's Superintendent Interviews to Begin
The Reading Board of Education will be interviewing superintendent candidates in February to replace Chuck LaFata, who will be retiring from the district in July 2020.
In December, OSBA conducted six focus groups to gather feedback for our next Superintendent. These sessions were well attended and provided excellent input to the Board of Education and the qualities that our school community desires in our next leader.
There were common themes that were shared with the Board from the focus groups about what our school community desires in our next leader:
- Being a strong communicator
- Having a willingness to build connections to the community
- Creating a more unified culture in our new school
- Integrating technology to enhance opportunities for teaching and learning.
Timeline for the search:
- February 11-13, 2020 - Interviews begin
- February 24, 2020 - Second round interviews
- March 2020 - Board action to employ
- August 1, 2020 - Employment begins