Identify Theft

What to do after

Place an Initial Fraud Alert

  1. Contact 1 credit reporting company
  2. Learn about your rights - The credit company will explain that you can get a free credit report.
  3. Mark Calender so you can renew that fraud alert after 90 days.
  4. Update your files.

Request a Credit Freeze

  1. Contact you State's Attorney General's office.
  2. Contact each credit reporting company.
  3. Mark your calender with the credit freeze (How long is it going to last)
  4. Update your files, record the dates you made the calls and keep copies of letters in your files.

Create an Identity theft Report

  • Get Fraudulent information removed from your credit report
  • Place an extended fraud alert on credit report
  • Get information from companies about accounts the identify thief opened or misused.

Review your Credit Report

  1. Check for your name, Address, Social Security number and employers.
  2. If you see errors on your Report and debts that you didn't see before, then contact the company and fraud department.

Get Copies of Documents the Identity Thief Used

Ask for copies of any documents the identity thief used to open a new account or make charges in your name.

These documents can help prove the identity theft.

Bankruptcy Filed in Your Name

If you believe someone filed for bankruptcy in your name, contact the U.S. Trustee in the region where the bankruptcy was filed. The U.S. Trustee Program refers cases of suspected bankruptcy fraud to the United States Attorneys for possible investigation and prosecution. The U.S. Trustee can’t provide you with legal help, so you

may need to hire an attorney.

Debt Collectors

A debt collector may contact you if an identity thief opens accounts in your name but does not pay the bills. To stop contact and collection action, contact the debt collector, the business that opened the fraudulent account, and the credit reporting companies.

Mail Theft

Sometimes an identity thief steals mail and uses it to get your personal and financial information, open new accounts, or commit tax fraud. The U.S. Postal Inspection Service, which investigates cases of identity theft, wants you to contact them and make a report.