OSSB Panther News
March 7, 2022
- 1-9 ACT Testing
- 10 Pep Band Practice, 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
- 14 Little NC Goalball Competition, 3:30 pm OSSB Gym
- 16 Little NC Swim Competition, 3:30 pm OSSB Pool
- 17 OSSB Marching Band/Columbus St. Patrick's Day Parade 11:30 am Downtown Columbus
- 17 Little NC Basketball and Cheerleading, 3:30 pm OSSB Gym
- 23 OSSB Annual Stakeholder's Meeting - All families are Invited 9:00 am - 10:30 am Click on this Zoom Link on March 23rd.
- 24 Pep Band Practice, 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
- 28 thru April 1 - Spring Break/No School
- 4 OSSB classes resume
- 14 Dismissal at 2:30
- 15 No School
- 18 No School
- 12 Dismissal at Noon
- 13 No School
- 20 Dismissal at 2:30 pm
- 30 Memorial Day/No School
OSSB Virtual Annual Stakeholder's Meeting - Join Us on March 23rd at 9:00 AM!
OSSB Marching Band News
Nationwide Children's Hospital to Collaborate with OSSB
Attention OSSB Families
The Ohio State School for the Blind has announced a collaboration to bring the Signs of Suicide Prevention Program to our school for all students in grades 6 thru 12." Information will be presented to students at OSSB in early April.
What is the goal of SOS?
The goal is to reduce youth suicides by teaching students and staff to recognize the signs and symptoms of suicide and depression in themselves and others and to follow the ACT® message. The SOS program encourages conversation around mental health issues, including depression and suicide, among school staff, families, and students."
- What are the differences between normal teenage ups and downs and a mental health concern?
- What are the warning signs for depression and suicide?
- What are the risk factors that can affect teens?
- What are the steps to take if you have a concern about your child's emotional needs?
Join Nationwide Children's Hospital for a virtual presentation of education and discussion about these topics and more. For more information, you may contact Nationwide Children's Hospital Suicide Prevention team at email@example.com.
All parents who participate will have the opportunity to be entered into a drawing for a $20 gift card to Kroger!
Wednesday, March 16th, 2022, from 5:30-6:30 pm
Meeting ID: 982 0882 6938, Passcode: 074953
One tap mobile +12532158782
Information shared courtesy of Nationwide Children's Hospital.
21st Century After School Club Takes Field Trip to IC3D
Photo shows OSSB students sitting in a couple of chairs that have been 3D printed! Shown are Makayla, Joey, Wesson, Dezziree, Kenny, Emmie, AJ, Aaliyah and Jonah.
Click Here to Register for this April 13th Virtual Event - 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm. Free book given to all those who register.
April Family Book Club RSVP
OSSB and OSD Parent Mentors are at it again...Join our April Book Club and learn more about your child's Individualized Education Program as we review Pete Wright's book, All About IEPs. Upon registration, we will send the book to you. It will be your copy to keep, so mark it up with questions, highlights, and things to remember!
This book club is open to family members of all Ohio children who are blind, visually impaired, deaf, hard of hearing, or deaf-blind.
April 13th, from 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm, we will meet one time to review the book, ask questions, and learn from each other! Please read the book before our meeting.
OSSB Summer Camp 2022
2022 Summer Camp registration is open until March 18, 2022, or until sessions are full.
If you have any questions, email OSSBsummercamp@ossb.oh.gov
OSSB Summer Offerings
Zoo Adventure Camp: June 6-June 10 (Grades 3rd-4th), STEM Camp I: June 6-June 10 (Grades 5th-7th), STEM Camp II: June 6-June 10 (Grades 8th-12th), Measuring Up with Math Camp: June 13-June 17 (Grades 3rd-7th),Theatre Camp: Making a Musical: June 13-June 17 (Grades 7th-12th), Eco Braille Camp: June 27-July 1 (Grades 3rd-7th), Sports Camp-Water Wars: July 10-July 15 (Grades 9-12th), ECC/ADL Camp: July 18-July 22 (Grades 7th-12th), Sports Camp-Water Wars: July 25-July 29 (Grades 6th-8th)
Band Camp: August 1-August 5 (Grades 7-12th)
*must have Band Director's permission if not an OSSB student*
Goalball Season is Here!! March 14th Tryouts
Just a reminder...
Physicals and Final Forms
· All physicals must be completed by a physician and returned to the school to participate.
· All Final Forms information must be completed before the first day of practice
· We will have tryouts starting on the first day of practice.
Dates and Traveling (tentative):
· March 14th: First day of practice
· Possible additional clinic in April (more information will follow)
· April 29 – 30th: Conference Championship at Illinois School for the Visually Impaired
Attendance: you must be at every practice: this is a quick season!
· Excused absences only
· Must be on-time and ready to go at the start of practice at 3:30 pm
· Must remain in good academic standing
Please let us know if you have any questions.
Coach Grim and Grim
Photo is from October 2018, and shows former OSSB students, Marwan and Jason, and current student Garrett at the top of the court. Jason is stopping the goalball before the net, and the other two are diving on the floor to defend the goal.
Change to Little NC Competition for Elementary Students
We have moved our internal competition to 3:30-4:30 pm after school on Monday, March 14th for goalball, March 16th for swim, and March 17th for basketball and cheerleading.
If you plan to attend, please check in at the front desk and wear a mask for events in the gym and in the pool. Please come to the pool directly for swim competition. If you have any questions, please reach out to Mrs. Alison Brewer-Wood.
Did you know that OSSB receives support from the OSSB PTSF, a Non-Profit Foundation? Find out more at www.ossbfoundation.org or click on this link.
RESOURCES & WORKSHOPS FOR STUDENTS AND FAMILIES
Young Blind Freeride Skier Featured on 60 Minutes News
National Braille Press - Free Children's Braille Book Club Application
Application deadline: March 18, 2022
Thanks to several generous donations and a matching program from the NewCo Foundation, the next year of Book Club will have 300 free memberships available to qualified families! The goal is to make all subscriptions free over the course of five years.
The next phase of free Book Club memberships will start with the April 2022 book, and end after March 2023.
- The CBBC-Free Program is available to blind children ages birth to 10 years old* or parents/legal guardians who are blind and have children ages birth to 10 years old*.
- Limit one Book Club membership per eligible child or household.
- The free program is only open to US residents.
- Enrollment is limited and will be based on eligibility/need criteria and on a first-come/first-served basis