The Counselor Connection
6 weeks down!
What the counselor's been up to...and what's on the horizon!
- Have taken place in each grade K-8
- Began by talking about how learning looks this year compared to the spring - school work in comfy clothes vs. school in uniforms, school work at home vs. school in class at desks with masks...great conversations!!!
- K-3's intro lesson was on active listening (see below)
- 4-5's intro lesson had to do with the increased expectations and prep for middle school
- Middle school intro lessons included results from a back-to-school survey (see below) and some tips to help with stress, test taking, and organization
- Over 120!!! Yes, over 120 new students have joined our SPS family! How incredible!?!
- In previous years, I would have lunch bunches with all new students and a buddy (student who is not new to SPS). This year, social distancing is preventing that from happening.
- The 20-21 plan - New Student Meet-n-Greet!
- Meet-n-Greet will begin within the next week and consist of just a quick check-in, a get to know you question, and the option for a follow-up if requested.
Check-ins & Consults
- Checking in with students has been a huge focus this past month! I've missed seeing faces and love reconnecting with the kids!
- Consulting with teachers has been so refreshing for me and a much needed part of my days. We work together to figure out what needs the students have that I may be able to help with. We talk about new students and if there is information needed to help make their transition successful. And we support each other, because 2020 has been rough!
Give Me 5 - Active Listening
Eyes are looking at the speaker. If they are not, what sign am I showing to the person talking?
Ears are listening. If my body or eyes are not looking for facing the person talking, my ears are turned away also. And if I am distracted by something else, are my ears able to tune out that noise to hear the person who is talking?
Mouth is quiet. If I am talking, am I able to hear the person I'm to be listening to? Are others around me able to hear?
Body is still. If my body is moving, is it making noise? Is it distracting to others? Is it distracting me?
Brain is ready to learn. If my brain is thinking about something else, is it able to hold onto what the speaker is saying?
Habit 1 - BE PROACTIVE
It's REALLY difficult to not see smiles because they are often hidden behind masks. So, to overcome this obstacle, each student in grades K-8 was taught the sign for "happy." Now, we can show we are happy to see one another by the use of this sign!