The Tiger Den
September 12 - 16
Para español, vaya al cuadro negro a la derecha y seleccione “Translate Newsletter."
This edition of The Tiger Den contains:
- Tutor.com - Free Tutoring
- Testing Updates - FALL Virginia Growth Assessments
- Bus Stop Finder App
- Lunch Reservation Details
- Important Dates
- Arrival Reminders - Safety First
- BBES PTA News
LCPS is partnering with Tutor.com to provide all students with free, online
tutoring. Tutor.com, which is a service of the Princeton Review, is personalized
to meet the individual needs of students. Tutor.com’s tutors are available 24
hours a day and can provide tutoring support in a wide variety of subjects. This
service will be available to LCPS students starting Tuesday, Sept. 6.
Tutor.com will be accessed through a student's Schoology account.
LCPS is rolling out online tutoring access for all students. With Tutor.com, you can:
1. Connect with a tutor almost immediately.
2. Connect with a tutor anywhere a student has computer access.
3. Have unlimited access to a tutor.
4. Drop off written work and received detailed feedack from a tutor within a day.
5. Use self-guided resources for AP/SAT/ACT.
Students are able to access Tutor.com from Schoology.
FALL VIRGINIA GROWTH ASSESSMENTS
Students in grades 3-8 will take the Virginia Department of Education’s growth assessments in reading and math this fall and again during the winter. Students in grades 3 - 5 will be taking their Fall Growth Assessments on the following dates:
- M 9/12 - 4th & 5th Grades will take the Reading Growth Assessment
- T 9/13 - 3rd Grade will take the Reading Growth Assessment
- W 9/14 - 4th & 5th Grades will take the Math Growth Assessment
- Th 9/15 - 3rd Grade will take the Math Growth Assessment
The online growth assessments are adaptive assessments that aid teachers with identifying learning strands that require additional instruction. In addition, the results indicate specific benchmarks for student growth. Students will take these tests in addition to the spring Standards of Learning (SOL) tests.
Questions can be directed to Ms. Ramos, our assistant principal. She can be reached by email at email@example.com
Scores and score reports for the Reading and Mathematics Virginia Growth Assessments will be in ParentVUE. Scores can be found in the Test History tab of ParentVUE and a detailed score report can be found in the Documents tab of ParentVUE.
Student Detail By Question (SDBQ) score reports show the academic standards on which the student was assessed and whether the test item was answered correctly, without assigning a passing or failing score.
If you have questions about the Growth Assessments, please visit the LCPS Assessment Services webpage and/or contact your school’s Testing Coordinator, Assistant Principal Ramos.
If it is determined your student is in need of an intervention plan as a result of these assessments and other data, the school will notify you and provide you with a copy of the intervention plan.
Bus Stop Finder App
Stopfinder is a secure app that provides parents and caregivers with accurate bus location and messages, updates and alerts in real-time. Stopfinder is the easy to use parent engagement app. Know where your child’s bus is and have the most accurate information about your child’s bus schedule in the palm of your hand. Set-up GeoAlert zones to know when your child's bus is arriving at the stop and the school. Learn more on the LCPS Stopfinder site and watch the demonstration video below.
How do I makea reservation to have lunch with my child?
On the day of your reservation, check in at the main office using your ID. You can meet your child at the cafeteria; but since the class tables are full with the students there are a couple of options for lunch visit locations:
- There are tables in the hall between the gym and cafeteria, outside the courtyard.
- There are tables outside in our courtyard area, if the weather is nice.
Due to Safety and Security, children are not allowed to invite a friend(s) while having lunch with their parent/guardian. If parents of different children want to reserve a lunch time so that their children may sit together at one of the locations mentioned above, we can certainly accommodate this, space permitting.
After lunch students should rejoin their classes before they return to their classes with their teachers (either in the cafeteria or in the hall outside the cafeteria). Parent(s) should then return to the office area to sign out before leaving the building.
| || |
Th Sep 22 at 6:00-7:30 pm
Arrival Reminders - Safety First
Please keep the following in mind each morning for a safe drop off:
- Drop off begins at 7:40 am when staff on on duty outside to supervise students.
- If arriving before 7:40 am students should remain in vehicles until staff are on duty.
- Please pull all the way down the side walk. There is a STOP sign. Do NOT stop in front of the entrance for drop off when there is space for vehicles to move forward. This backs up the line to the traffice lights. We need to keep the line moving.
- Students should ONLY be let out on the SIDEWALK SIDE.
- ADULTS should REMAIN in vehicles at all times when in the Drop Off Line.
- If your child needs assistance please feel free to park and walk your child to the staff member that helps students to cross at the cross walk in front of the school.
- Students should NOT be dropped off at the median area/parking lot without an adult parking to walk them safely to the staff on duty.
- Handicapped Parkings Spaces are reserved for those with a DMV Handicap Placard or License Plates ONLY. These spaces should not be used for drop off. There have been times when the handicap space was needed for someone with the placard; but not available. Vehicles in violation can be ticketed by School Resource Officers or Officers on site assisting Crossing Guards.
Your help with a safe drop off is appreciated!
We want all Tigers to arrive safe and ready to learn evey day! Safety first!
Walkers & Dog Reminder
Also there should not be any dogs on the school property at arrivals, dismissals, or during the school day.
BBES PTA Newsletter Vol. 1
2022-2023 BBES PTA Board
President - Gretchen Riemenschneider
VP, Programs (educational school programs) - Affie Benson
VP, Ways & Means (fundraising efforts) - Molly Bogar
Treasurer - Gretchen Holmes
Secretary - Ashley Lutz
Communications Director - Sarah Payne