My PRESIDENTS EAIRLY LIFE
- Obama was born on Aug 4 1961
- Obama’s father, also named Barack Hussein Obama, grew up in a small village in Nyanza Province, Kenya, as a member of the Luo ethnicity. He won a scholarship to study economics at the University Hawaii.
- Obama’s parents later separated, and Barack Sr. went back to Kenya; he would see his son only once more before dying in a car accident in 1982.
- In 1996, Obama officially launched his own political career, winning election to the illinois State Senate as a Democrat from the South Side neighborhood of Hyde Park.
good things Obama passed when he became president
- Obama accomplished what no prior Democrat could in expanding coverage to 32 million more Americans while simultaneously reducing the deficit by an estimated $1.3 trillion over the next 20 years.
- The most sweeping financial industry reform legislation since the Great Depression, this legislation tries to correct those industry issues that helped create the current recession
- Obama has reduced troops from a peak of 170,000 down to 50,000, with the remaining troops focused on training and recruiting Iraqi forces, rather than participating in combat.
- Housing rescue plan
- $789 billion economic stimulus plan
- Sent envoys to Middle East and other parts of the world that had been neglected for years; reengaging in multilateral and bilateral talks and diplomacy
- Initiating a new policy to promote federal hiring of military spouses
- Improving benefits for veterans
Hail to the Chief