The Effect of Implementation on the Environment
Resources can be Recovered from Recycled Devices
One million recycled laptops could provide energy for over 3,000 houses for one year.
From one million recycled cell phones, we can recover 35,000 pounds of copper, 772 pounds of silver, 75 pounds of gold and 33 pounds of palladium.
Almost every electronic device contains at least one rare earth mineral. This mining pollutes the environment, specifically the surrounding groundwater.
PCs Require More Energy than Laptops or Tablets
Loughborough University in the UK is currently attempting to reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions. They have 1,400 HP desktop PCs, 50 notebooks and 250 dual-boot Macs. Since 2011, their technology shift has reduced their anual carbon emissions by 75,000 pounds and saved 45,000 kWh per year.
Students involved include: Jacob G. and Wassefe from the Universal School in Lebanon, Connor F. from Franklin Regional Senior High in the USA, Lisa M. from the Robert Bateman Secondary School in Canada, Lauren H. from the Academy of Allied Health and Science in the USA, Hannah L. from the Berea-Midpark High School in the USA, Erin N. from Valley High School in the USA, Mason B. and Kyle M. from the Quest Charter Academy High School in the USA and Amber L. from the Jonesville Middle School in the USA.
Special thanks to the teacher leader, Mrs. Amy Jambor
- "How BYOD Can Boost Your Green Campaign." Stasmayer Incorporated RSS. Stasmayer Incorporated, 13 Dec. 2013. Web. 26 Mar. 2015.
- Baroudi, Carol. "Green IT in the Brave New World of BYOD." GreenBiz. GreenBiz, 19 Oct. 2011. Web. 10 Mar. 2015.
- Danielson, Nik. "Bring Your Own Carbon Footprint: Eco-Friendly Business Solutions." US Green Technology. N.p., 06 Jan. 2014. Web. 13 Apr. 2015.
- Leonard, Ashley. "Understanding PC Power Management." EnterpriseTech. Enterprise Tech, 24 June 2013. Web. 24 Mar. 2015.
- Mrkalj. "Three Ways BYOD Can Help Your Busines Go Green | BizCloud® Network." BizCloud Network. BizCloud Network, 11 Nov. 2013. Web. 10 Mar. 2015.