Andrew Johnson's Plan:
By: Alyssa Holt
- Ratify the 13 amendment which abolished slavery.
- No pardon to high rank officials.
- Each state repeal secession and pledge alligiance to union.
This was established in 1865 by Congress to help former black slaves and poor whites in the South in the aftermath of the U.S. Civil War . Johnson opposed the Freedmen's bureau because he felt that targeting former slaves for special assistance would be detrimental to the south.
Civil Rights Act (1886)
This act granted citizenship and the same rights enjoyed by white citizens to all male persons in the United States.
These were laws passed by Southern states in 1865 and 1866, after the Civil War. These laws had the intent and the effect of restricting African Americans' freedom, and of compelling them to work in a labor economy based on low wages or debt.
- "No person of color shall migrate into and reside in this state, unless, within twenty days after his arrival within the same, he shall enter into a bond with two freeholders as sureties"
- "Servants shall not be absent from the premises without the permission of the master"
- ''Servants must assist their masters "in the defense of his own person, family, premises, or property"
If President Andrew Johnson didn't Veto these laws life would have been better for these slaves. Slaves were still lucky to have some freedom and not forced to do manual labor. Slaves were upset because they finally free but yet they couldn't have the rights they were promised when set free because Johnson vetoed everything.